Paintings With Soul

Since October 2006 I've been a daily painter, creating a new pet portrait at least 5 times per week. Over the years I've expanded my offerings to include a variety of animals, pets, race horses, children and other treasured heirlooms. In addition, I accept a limited number of commissions each year.

In 2015 I am honored to be the Kentucky Derby Artist.

You may use the links below right to receive my daily paintings via email or to follow my blog with a feed. I post additional info, including in-process jpgs and other related information, on the studio Facebook page as well.

Meanwhile, thanks
so much for your continued support of my artwork.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Friendship

 

Long time Dog-a-Day readers may remember the spring of 2010 when I won a wine label contest with my collage"Rusty," pictured above. The winning artwork was based on childhood memories of my recently deceased Grandfather's hunting dog, and the piece itself was inspired by a collage artist, Elizabeth St Hilaire Nelson, who's work I greatly admired.

 
I sent her a thank you letter by means of introduction, and the rest, as they say, is history.

 
We discovered we had much in common - a love of incredibly eclectic music, daughters who were both passionate about dance, husbands perplexed by but oh-so-very-supportive of our ceaseless desire to create, the shared isolation of painting alone in a studio, what one might call an addiction to all that is Anthropologie, a touch of OCD (ok, admittedly, I have far more than a touch), a singular enjoyment of a fine glass of wine at the end of the day......

 
Two years later, daily emails, texting and frequent phone calls have resulted in collaborations (we are doing an installation at ArtPrize in Grand Rapids together) and a solid friendship.

 
A friendship that will be cemented this weekend when we meet in person for the very first time.

 
I'll be picking Elizabeth up at the airport on Thursday, and we're immediately roadtripping to northern Michigan. She's teaching a workshop in Traverse City, and I'm going to try to keep up with her (she is the epitomy of the Energizer Bunny, I kid you not!).

 
Then we are returning to Casa Santini for a week of fun and games, including her attendance at one of my grownUPs journaling workshops, a visit to Arts & Scraps,The Heidelberg Projectthe DIA, the Detroit Eastern Market, and taking in one of The Caped Crusader's football games.

 
But the highlight of the trip will be our sharing a bottle of Rusty and toasting all the blessings that art has brought our way.

 
Fondly,
Kim, who is demonstrating her fine procrastination skills by starting (and hopefully finishing) her workshop homework tonite - the design and blocking in of two large compositions to be collaged at Elizabeth's workshop


 
The Other Side of the Story
 

Anyone interested in hearing Elizabeth's take on all this, can read her newsletter from last week.
 
 

Share/Save/Bookmark

Similar Dog-a-Day Paintings

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

All the Dog-a-Days Ever......