Paintings With Soul

Since October 2006 I've been a daily painter, creating a new pet portrait at least 5 times per week. At first the paintings were mostly dogs, but over the years I've expanded my offerings to include a variety of animals, pets, children and other treasured heirlooms.

And yes, I accept commissions!

You are invited to sign up using the links at the left to receive the dailies via email or follow my blog with a feed. I post additional info, including in-process jpgs and other related information, on the studio Facebook page as well.

Thanks
so much for your continued support of my artwork.

Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Klimted

"Klimted (Sam and Bella),"** 10" x 20", portrait of two Maltese created in the style of Gustav Klimt, done in acrylics on museum quality panel, private collection.

I'm not so good at keeping secrets, but somehow I managed to keep this one under wraps. I began working on the piece surreptitiously last month - you see, it was for Elizabeth, who's favorite artist in all the world (next to me) is Klimt. I intended to surprise her with it when I visited last week, which I did, but it didn't get finished and came home with me. However, I signed off on it today and shortly "Klimted" will be sent on it's merry little way back to sunny Florida.

The portrait is difficult to photograph, packed as it is with metallic and pearlescent paints, but even without those elements visible, it oozes delight.

Thanks as always for following along with my artwork!
Kim
 
PS I am happy to do a special portrait for you, Santini-style. Shoot me a line so we can talk about your project!!
 
**Klimted is a word coined by artist Robin Maria Pedrero, and I titled this painting with her permission.


Inspiration
 
Each month Elizabeth SHNelson and I study the work of a master artist. It is our 2013 challenge - to indulge and wallow in artistic brilliance and see if by chance a little of it might rub off on us.
 
I study elements that are especially appealing to my own aesthetic. Brushwork, patterning, color, and other compositional tricks. I then create a journal spread packed with notes on technique and other supporting details (Vinnie's checking out my Rodin pages below). Then I intentionally incorporate those things into a painting of my own design.
 
 
In January you saw Finnigan's Odilon Redon inspired portrait. Elizabeth created an homage to his butterflies (which I cannot find a link too.....).
 
February is this Klimted** version of Sam and Bella. Elizabeth is currently working on a self-portrait styled after Klimt's Adele Bloch Bauer.
 
March will bring an Arts & Crafts styled painting a la The Glasgow Girls.
 
Meanwhile, our idea has inspired contemporaries, too! Painter Robin Pedrero visited Elizabeth and I, and subsequently created her "Tea Party With Klimt" painting. Collage artist Alyson Champ said our Klimting influenced her recent Raven piece. And mixed media artist Laura Locke is furtively working on a Klimted piece of her own.
 
Do you dare pick up the challenge? It's a lot of fun...... share links to your Klimted art project in the comments section below.
 
And paint on!!
 
Share/Save/Bookmark

Similar Dog-a-Day Paintings

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

All the Dog-a-Days Ever......