Skip to main content


I spent this afternoon with a dear woman, one who I first met under the auspices of “client” (as quite a few of my friendships of late have begun). I swung by her house unannounced, to deliver a small gift, prior to her having surgery tomorrow.

For despite her most valiant attempts, the hospital simply would not bend their rules, and allow her dog entrance. (And believe me when I say that this woman bends steel with the power of her words). I could not imagine her without dear Amos by her side, and so therefore, tried to give her the next best thing – a small painting of him, one that she could contemplate upon while recovering.

And she gave me such a tremendous gift in return – there were so many gems that simply fell from her lips without any sort of fanfare whatsoever, and I wished multiple times that I had a means of capturing her words before my silly brain buried them underneath things far less important.

It was an afternoon that blossomed quite unexpectedly, into something extraordinary.

And my thoughts and prayers will follow her through the course of the next few weeks, until we get to enjoy our next afternoon together, partnered with Amos’ careful attention (yes, it would appear to the undiscerning eye that he’s out cold, drooling all over the floor, but he’s really intently watching with that uncanny sense devoted dogs have).

So today I give you her Amos, as a puppy. The specifics of this painting seem so trivial, but for the record, this piece is 5x7, and probably one of the only times Amos squeezed into anything close to this size!!

Thanks as always for looking.
And for sharing these paintings with your friends and family,
See you tomorrow,
Kim



Kimberly Kelly Santini
http://www.turtledovedesigns.com/
distinctive pet portraits
& 4-legged paintings

http://www.paintingadogaday.com/
come. sit. stay.
enjoy the art.

Founding member of the Canine Art Guild
http://www.canineartguild.com/
the gateway to canine art on the web

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Copyright Thieves

Dear Copyright Thieves,   Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's free for the taking. So let's just stop pretending the internet is a free-for-all.   Don't play the card that you didn't know - that's insulting. And don't also tell me that you meant to follow up and get permission but never got a chance to. That's insulting too. And by the way, don't you have a copyright protection notice on your own site?   And don't even try and point the finger at a third party who commissioned you to make a copy of my painting - again, an insult - you and I both know the difference between a reference photo and a painting.   And don't tell me that I asked for it because I share my artwork on the internet. I share my paintings and ideas and the stories behind them so as to encourage others to pursue  their own passions . I do not share so that those lacking integrity and morals can copy and market the images as their own...

Grindstone

"Grindstone", 16" x 20" acrylics on museum quality panel, depicting Grindstone, just a few strides away from winning The Kentucky Derby in 1996. Read more about this painting's story below - it's a good one! And inquiries may come directly  to me .  Paying it Forward Shortly after getting The Derby Gig, which neatly dovetailed my childhood passion for horse racing with my grown up obsession with painting, I started formulating a plan to give back to the universe. As it played out, The Kentucky Derby Museum got involved, and it was decided I would donate a piece to them, something they could use as a fundraising tool to further their education efforts.  "Would I be interested in painting Grindstone, the winner of the 1996 Derby?" they asked. But of course! Little did I know the background story, though. Every year the Museum asks the owners of the Kentucky Derby winner to donate one breeding to the Museum when th...

Fisher Price Little People Puppy, Toy #10

"Little People Puppy (Toy #10)," 6" x 6," acrylics on masonite, starring a spunky little spaniel with jointed legs made by Fisher Price This painting is $75, with free shipping inside the US. Purchasing is as simple as  asking . I didn't play with this particular version of Little People toys, but I find them very sentimental never the less. They are well designed and charming. I tried to figure out what year Fisher Price made these particular jointed toys which I own (via ebay - I have circus characters too!), but got distracted learning about the history of Little People in general. They have seemingly been around for 50+ years! The Little People barn was a HUGE part of my childhood. The barn doors opened with a "mooooo," but in my head I heard welcoming nickers. Those horses and chickens were real. The brown and orange shag carpeting of my parent's family room became lush rolling pastures of green, and the Little People...