Paintings With Soul

Since October 2006 I've been a daily painter, creating a new pet portrait at least 5 times per week. Over the years I've expanded my offerings to include a variety of animals, pets, race horses, children and other treasured heirlooms. In addition, I accept a limited number of commissions each year.

In 2015 I am honored to be the Kentucky Derby Artist.

You may use the links below right to receive my daily paintings via email or to follow my blog with a feed. I post additional info, including in-process jpgs and other related information, on the studio Facebook page as well.

Meanwhile, thanks
so much for your continued support of my artwork.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007


“Vizsla Study in Profile,” 6x12, acrylic pet portrait on canvasboard. Inquiries as always to ksantini@turtledovedesigns.com .

Experimenting with a new palette at the tail end of last week really set my creative juices going. I wanted to play more with the combination of yellow ochre, cadmium red dark and cobalt blue – I found I could get some lovely oranges and flesh colors with them, and wanted to push the paints around some and see what else I could make them do. But I resisted the pull of the studio all weekend long, and made myself wait till this morning.

I turned to a breed favorite – the Vizsla. (Continuing along the blue-orange theme from last week, too, I just realized.) I’ve said this before, but I just love their coloring and the drape of skin across sinewy bodies. And while I’m not certain this profile is quite confirmationaly perfect (the nose might be a smidge too deep), there was enough other positive things happening that I didn’t ditch it entirely.

I primarily used one brush for this piece – a 1/2” flat. I used it’s crisp edge for drawing, tilted it a bit to get smaller flecks of color with it’s tip, and laid completely on it’s side to lay down a wider wash without any telltale brush marks. Using one tool eliminates that fistful of wet brushes in my left hand. It also leads to mixing some very harmonious neutrals, as I try to always leave a trace of the prior color mixture still in the brush.

Now I did go for a filbert at the very end, just to clean up edges and drop details in around the eye, so I didn’t rely on one brush entirely. But pretty close.

So there you have it, today’s dog-a-day painting. Stay tuned for another Vizsla tomorrow!

I’m already putting the pieces in place for the return of Shelter & Rescue Week, which will start next Monday.

Meanwhile, thanks, as always, for looking.
And for sharing these paintings with your friends and family,
Kim

Kimberly Kelly Santini
http://www.turtledovedesigns.com/
distinctive pet portraits
& 4-legged paintings

http://www.paintingadogaday.com/
come. sit. stay.
enjoy the art.

Founding member of the Canine Art Guild
http://www.canineartguild.com/
the gateway to canine art on the web
Share/Save/Bookmark

Similar Dog-a-Day Paintings

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

All the Dog-a-Days Ever......