Monday, December 10, 2007
"Mop Head (Poiret)," 4x5, commissioned teacup poodle portrait, acrylic on canvasboard, private collection (THANK YOU!).
Talk about having a good time - I really should have photographed this piece as it progressed. The canvas was originally all a dark violet, like what you see between Poiret's eyes, and I gradually built up the layers of paint, adding lavendars, pinks, periwinkle and some teal. I used glazes to push some areas of his fur back, and then went in with looser lighter brushwork to pull bits of his fur forward.
I had even more fun because I was trying out some new brushes, experimenting with their spring and shape. I am really hard on my brushes, so historically have bought cheap ones that don't hold their shape so well. I learned today that proper tools make a world of difference in the sort of brushwork I can lay down, and how quickly I can do it, too. And despite scrubbing to my hearts' content, these brushes have held up and are ready for more abuse tomorrow. I think I might have a new (and dangerous) addiction to good paintbrushes!
Thanks go out to the editors of Horses in Art Magazine for including two of my paintings in their Winter issue - Swish, an equine painting, and The Red Collar, a dalmation piece from earlier this summer (visit http://www.paintingadogaday.blogspot.com/, and go to August 14th, 2007). They also ran a nice bit about my work and some recent honors. It's wonderful to get acknowledgement like this!
Thank you, as always, for your time in looking at my work and sharing it with friends and family.
Take care, stay warm, and we'll talk soon,
Kimberly Kelly Santini
distinctive pet portraits
& 4-legged paintings
come. sit. stay.
enjoy the art.
Founding member of the Canine Art Guild
the gateway to canine art on the web
All the Dog-a-Days Ever......
- ► 2017 (121)
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (198)
- ► 2014 (170)
- ► 2013 (215)
- ► 2012 (213)
- ► 2011 (225)
- ► 2010 (212)
- ► 2009 (215)
- ► 2008 (235)
- I guess it was rather overambitious to think that ...
- I am continually working behind the scenes here. ...
- I haven't posted in the last week, but I have been...
- Today has been unusually productive. I've gotten ...
- "Samson," 6x8, commissioned cat portrait, acrylic ...
- "Mop Head (Poiret)," 4x5, commissioned teacup pood...
- "Tortie Kitten," 4x5, tortoiseshell kitten portr...
- "Shepherd Mix Pup," 6x12, puppy portrait in acry...
- "Ole Blue Eye," 8" square, mixed breed dog portrai...
- ARTIST'S NOTE: I framed this piece up exquisitely,...
- I cannot begin to tell you what a fantastic weeken...
- ▼ December (11)