Skip to main content

"Say What?! (Ruger)," 6" x 8", hound portrait in acrylic on canvasboard, from August 10th, 2007, $120. Proceeds from the sale of Ruger's portrait will benefit Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Utah.
SOLD.

Were you able to watch the first episode of Dog Town on the National Geographic channel? If you did, you saw Ruger's story. I painted Ruger last summer, and just like the hound himself, inexplicably this painting finds itself looking for a home. In light of his new reality tv stardom, I thought I would showcase Ruger's painting again. Inquiries may come to me at ksantini@turtledovedesigns.com .

I enjoyed watching Dog Town, and I'm not one to sit and watch TV. It was great seeing the faces of the people who make such a difference in the lives of these animals.

And what a surprise to see Ruger among the mix of dogs they profiled - like coming across an old friend!

You can learn more about Best Friends Animal Sanctuary at http://www.bestfriends.org/ . I also realized after sending out Friday's email, that I forgot to plug in the 2007 year to date Painting a Dog a Day contribution amount for Best Friends Animal Sanctuary - over $1100!!

Thanks, as always, for looking.
And for sharing these paintings and stories with your friends and family,
See you tomorrow!
Kim

Kimberly Kelly Santini
http://www.turtledovedesigns.com/
distinctive pet portraits
& 4-legged paintings

http://www.paintingadogaday.com/
come. sit. stay.
enjoy the art.

Founding member of the Canine Art Guild
http://www.canineartguild.com/
the gateway to canine art on the web

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Copyright Thieves

Dear Copyright Thieves,   Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's free for the taking. So let's just stop pretending the internet is a free-for-all.   Don't play the card that you didn't know - that's insulting. And don't also tell me that you meant to follow up and get permission but never got a chance to. That's insulting too. And by the way, don't you have a copyright protection notice on your own site?   And don't even try and point the finger at a third party who commissioned you to make a copy of my painting - again, an insult - you and I both know the difference between a reference photo and a painting.   And don't tell me that I asked for it because I share my artwork on the internet. I share my paintings and ideas and the stories behind them so as to encourage others to pursue  their own passions . I do not share so that those lacking integrity and morals can copy and market the images as their own...

Grindstone

"Grindstone", 16" x 20" acrylics on museum quality panel, depicting Grindstone, just a few strides away from winning The Kentucky Derby in 1996. Read more about this painting's story below - it's a good one! And inquiries may come directly  to me .  Paying it Forward Shortly after getting The Derby Gig, which neatly dovetailed my childhood passion for horse racing with my grown up obsession with painting, I started formulating a plan to give back to the universe. As it played out, The Kentucky Derby Museum got involved, and it was decided I would donate a piece to them, something they could use as a fundraising tool to further their education efforts.  "Would I be interested in painting Grindstone, the winner of the 1996 Derby?" they asked. But of course! Little did I know the background story, though. Every year the Museum asks the owners of the Kentucky Derby winner to donate one breeding to the Museum when th...

Golden Open Acrylics

I get all sorts of process oriented questions. Most recently I've been getting asked a lot about my paints and palette, which made me realize what a nice blog topic this would make! I use a Masterson Sta-Wet Premier palette box . This is comprised of a box (think Tupperware) with a sponge liner and a slice of palette paper that work together to keep my paints wet. This setup allows me to work with the same palette for about a full week, having the box open for multiple hours every day. You can see what the palette looks like at the beginning of a new session above - below the exact same palette after this week's work. For the last 25 years I have used Golden brand acrylics, mediums, and varnish. I love the overall quality of these paints and the fact that, when I have a question, their customer service department is made up of artists who actually use the products. Until last year, I used their Heavy Body paints exclusively. They have a buttery consistency, a little loose...