Skip to main content

The Stick

"The Stick," 8" x 16", triple dog portrait (including a Labradoodle, a mixed breed, and a Labrador Retriever) in acrylic on canvasboard, $599 to the first taker. Inquiries may always come to me.

The idea for this painting was supplied by some photos taken by long time Dog-a-Day collector Mia Bartlett, who responded to my request for pictures of black and white dogs. She regularly walks a mess of dogs in this creek, and sent over a good amount of exciting photographs showing them splashing and wrestling in the summer sunlight.

I was drawn to all the color reflected in the water, while the three dark dogs created a mass or shape of their own. It was a great exercise to take my color outside of my subject, and use a tighter range of values and darks for the objects I normally saturate with expressive color.

There's only a week left to earn an opportunity to win a Dog-a-Day painting of your own for the holidays. Get a friend to subscribe to the dailies, and each of you will get a chance to win your own 6" x 6" painting. For each friend who signs up, you receive another chance to win. Winners of the two portraits will be announced by October 8th. All the info is on the project blog, www.paintingadogaday.com .

Thanks, as always, for looking at - and sharing - my artwork with your friends and family.
Kim

PS For those of you still reading, I am always looking for photos of black and/or white animals. I want to practice painting the subtle shifts in the lightest lights and darkest darks that they are the perfect foils for. You may send your photos to me, and I'll acknowledge their receipt. Thanks so very much!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Katie’s Moustache,” 6x12, pet portrait in acrylic on canvasboard, $90. Inquiries to ksantini@turtledovedesigns.com . One glimpse of Katie’s face, and I was hooked. Not only did she fall into my beloved “black & white” category, but she came with a full moustache and doe-like eyes. I first covered the canvas with a variety of blues and purples, using a (mixed) light green and pink for the highlights. (Right now my palette has been expanded to include the following: pthalo blue red, azurite hue, cad red dark, alizarine crimson, cad yellow dark, and then for graying/hazing out I use light green yellow and ultramarine purple.) I lighten with titanium white and darken with one of the blues and a touch of one of the reds. As a side note, at this time last year I was really struggling with my limited palette (I went from about 60 pots of paint to 3), but I have lived the benefits – I am so much more familiar with what I can mix given just this handful of colors. My paintings are also m...

Dear Copyright Thieves

Dear Copyright Thieves,   Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's free for the taking. So let's just stop pretending the internet is a free-for-all.   Don't play the card that you didn't know - that's insulting. And don't also tell me that you meant to follow up and get permission but never got a chance to. That's insulting too. And by the way, don't you have a copyright protection notice on your own site?   And don't even try and point the finger at a third party who commissioned you to make a copy of my painting - again, an insult - you and I both know the difference between a reference photo and a painting.   And don't tell me that I asked for it because I share my artwork on the internet. I share my paintings and ideas and the stories behind them so as to encourage others to pursue  their own passions . I do not share so that those lacking integrity and morals can copy and market the images as their own...

Golden Open Acrylics

I get all sorts of process oriented questions. Most recently I've been getting asked a lot about my paints and palette, which made me realize what a nice blog topic this would make! I use a Masterson Sta-Wet Premier palette box . This is comprised of a box (think Tupperware) with a sponge liner and a slice of palette paper that work together to keep my paints wet. This setup allows me to work with the same palette for about a full week, having the box open for multiple hours every day. You can see what the palette looks like at the beginning of a new session above - below the exact same palette after this week's work. For the last 25 years I have used Golden brand acrylics, mediums, and varnish. I love the overall quality of these paints and the fact that, when I have a question, their customer service department is made up of artists who actually use the products. Until last year, I used their Heavy Body paints exclusively. They have a buttery consistency, a little loose...