Paintings With Soul

Since October 2006 I've been a daily painter, creating a new pet portrait at least 5 times per week. Over the years I've expanded my offerings to include a variety of animals, pets, race horses, children and other treasured heirlooms. In addition, I accept a limited number of commissions each year.

In 2015 I am honored to be the Kentucky Derby Artist.

You may use the links below right to receive my daily paintings via email or to follow my blog with a feed. I post additional info, including in-process jpgs and other related information, on the studio Facebook page as well.

Meanwhile, thanks
so much for your continued support of my artwork.

Friday, June 10, 2011

Real Men Wear Pink

My demo painting from last night's presentation - I got a good start, despite talking non-stop for over 2 hours! Take a peek at my reference photo down below.

IN PROCESS: "Real Men Wear Pink (Chester)," 9" x 12", Golden Open Acrylics on an Ampersand gessobord, depicting a Bulldog. This painting will be available for purchase when completed.

Live painting demonstrations can be rather daunting - the key is to find a balance between the focus needed to make painting decisions all the while maintaining a meaningful dialogue with the attendees.

I think I did so for the most part last night, when working with Chester's portrait. I only lost my train of thought twice.

I can see now that I've got to fix the proportions of his face and I still want to lighten the bandanna up, but I remain pleased with what I was able to coherently share and document via my lip-flapping painting process last night.

Coherence is soon to dissipate. This time next week, there will be a horde of summer vacationing children at my house. I must be strong.

Thanks for looking at - and sharing - my artwork with your friends and family,
Kim

PS I have not forgotten about Boots the goat, who we left in limbo on Tuesday - he'll get his turn next week!!


My reference photo for Chester's painting
Artistic License

Just because a photo shows something in a certain fashion, doesn't mean you have to paint it that way. Here's what I'm changing:

  • The tongue needs to be dangling longer, in order to break up the shape of his head.
  • The bandanna will be a softer pink, so that the tongue isn't the same color/value and stands out more.
  • I'm removing the bandanna tab above his head and the leash/harness lines.
  • I'm shifting the light source so that it more adequately says "noon" - which means adding a deeper shadow and upping the highlights on his topline.
  • I'm also softening the edges/detail in his rear legs and toes, to create a sense of depth and really push his face into the viewer.


Is there anything you'd like to add?

Share/Save/Bookmark

Similar Dog-a-Day Paintings

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

All the Dog-a-Days Ever......