Paintings With Soul

Since October 2006 I've been a daily painter, creating a new pet portrait at least 5 times per week. Over the years I've expanded my offerings to include a variety of animals, pets, race horses, children and other treasured heirlooms. In addition, I accept a limited number of commissions each year.

In 2015 I am honored to be the Kentucky Derby Artist.

You may use the links below right to receive my daily paintings via email or to follow my blog with a feed. I post additional info, including in-process jpgs and other related information, on the studio Facebook page as well.

Meanwhile, thanks
so much for your continued support of my artwork.

Tuesday, December 09, 2014


"Corpse," 8" x 10", acrylics on a Raymar panel, depicting a vintage porcelain doll from perhaps the 1940s (??). Study done in class, intended for learning purposes, but decidedly pleased with the end result. This one can be yours for $469 (I'll have a better scan of the painting later in the week) - inquire to me. Please and thank you!


While everyone else is painting fruit and pottery, I'm the one in the corner with a tub of dolls and parts, happily pushing paint.

I always was the proverbial Purple Cow.

Today we learned that the best still life paintings contain:
  • A design concept superseding the objects painted
  • A whole that is much larger than the sum of the parts
  • Light elevating the setup
We talked about the storytelling aspect of a still life, it's symbolic content (whether that's planned or accidental), and how it might read over time (transcendence). We also drew a parallel between a good book and a good painting - each tells you just enough, and your brain fills in the rest.

I laid this one out with the above in mind. And when I titled her "Corpse" I swear I was thinking of the yoga corpse pose and not a murder scene.

I guess I should be grateful the group is eating lunch with me, eh?

Thanks, as always, for following along with my artwork!
Happy holidays!
Warmly, Kim
Share/Save/Bookmark

Similar Dog-a-Day Paintings

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

All the Dog-a-Days Ever......