Paintings With Soul

Since October 2006 I've been a daily painter, creating a new pet portrait at least 5 times per week. Over the years I've expanded my offerings to include a variety of animals, pets, race horses, children and other treasured heirlooms. In addition, I accept a limited number of commissions each year.

In 2015 I am honored to be the Kentucky Derby Artist.

You may use the links below right to receive my daily paintings via email or to follow my blog with a feed. I post additional info, including in-process jpgs and other related information, on the studio Facebook page as well.

Meanwhile, thanks
so much for your continued support of my artwork.

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Building New Dreams


"Dreamer (formerly Ballerina)," 9" x 12", acrylics on a museum quality panel, depicting a pretty filly playing in an imaginary space. She's looking for a new home - $599 includes s&h to any US doorway. As always, inquires may always come directly to me. Oh, and in process pics are here

I've been looking at a lot of art lately (that might be a separate blog post!), measuring it against my inner vision (notice I didn't say measuring it against my work!! that is a no-no!!), and figuring out where I want to go with my work (because yes, I do get bored painting the same thing the same way, day after day).

I have plans right now for two workshops this spring (focused on expressive, ambiguous, and loose mark making) and am currently deep inside two others (examining joy and acceptance). Plus I have compositions that have been in my head since December's still life workshop with Vianna Szabo (continuing my love affair with light and color). Continued learning is a bit part of advocating for my own growth, and so far this year I am doing a much better job of juggling this with other commitments.

So here's my lesson today - do you remember her from before? Well, in the midst of a giant AH-HA moment this weekend, I realized that the contrast was quite theatrical, but that it didn't serve her. So I eliminated it, and played instead with the background, mirroring her color, adding some of my favorite symbols and patterns from my journal, and then I stopped.

I don't have a clear vision of what to do next, so I put my brushes down. Sure, I could continue to push her edges and have them dissolve entirely, or I could bring the pattern up to compete with her form, but since I can't visualize either of those choices clearly, I'm going to hold off.

Besides, right now, that background serves her very well. Very well indeed.

And now I plan to enjoy her. Maybe you would like to enjoy her too? She is for sale..... 

Up next is a commissioned portrait. I'll have to play by the rules with that one! hee hee!!

Thanks, as always, for following along with my artwork!
Warmly, Kim 
Share/Save/Bookmark

Similar Dog-a-Day Paintings

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

All the Dog-a-Days Ever......