Skip to main content

NEW PAINTING Tempo

"Tempo," 12" x 12" x 1", acrylics on museum quality cradeled panel, portrait of one heck of a special dog, private collection (THANK YOU!!). Please reach out to me with inquiries or questions.

Tempo's portrait was mostly painted via a livestream on my FB page, in a session I shared last week and another sideways one earlier today. A third session stretched out over this afternoon, and I think he's close to being done.

I've just sent this jpg off to my collector for her approval - I see one tiny change (picking up the green in his left upper lift, making it a smidge lighter so it floats more so above the tongue), but she will know best if I've properly captured Tempo's larger than life goofiiness.

It's not enough that my portraits LOOK like their subject. I want them to FEEL like them too. And while I work from a mess of photos, I could never know the animal as well as their family.

Reach out to me if you want to begin a portrait project of your own. Original art transcends mere likenesses and cements a lifetime of memories, something your family will treasure a long time to come. Prices start at $399 - I will forward further details upon request..

Thanks for following along with my painting journey, Kim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Copyright Thieves

Dear Copyright Thieves,   Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's free for the taking. So let's just stop pretending the internet is a free-for-all.   Don't play the card that you didn't know - that's insulting. And don't also tell me that you meant to follow up and get permission but never got a chance to. That's insulting too. And by the way, don't you have a copyright protection notice on your own site?   And don't even try and point the finger at a third party who commissioned you to make a copy of my painting - again, an insult - you and I both know the difference between a reference photo and a painting.   And don't tell me that I asked for it because I share my artwork on the internet. I share my paintings and ideas and the stories behind them so as to encourage others to pursue  their own passions . I do not share so that those lacking integrity and morals can copy and market the images as their own...

Grindstone

"Grindstone", 16" x 20" acrylics on museum quality panel, depicting Grindstone, just a few strides away from winning The Kentucky Derby in 1996. Read more about this painting's story below - it's a good one! And inquiries may come directly  to me .  Paying it Forward Shortly after getting The Derby Gig, which neatly dovetailed my childhood passion for horse racing with my grown up obsession with painting, I started formulating a plan to give back to the universe. As it played out, The Kentucky Derby Museum got involved, and it was decided I would donate a piece to them, something they could use as a fundraising tool to further their education efforts.  "Would I be interested in painting Grindstone, the winner of the 1996 Derby?" they asked. But of course! Little did I know the background story, though. Every year the Museum asks the owners of the Kentucky Derby winner to donate one breeding to the Museum when th...

Golden Open Acrylics

I get all sorts of process oriented questions. Most recently I've been getting asked a lot about my paints and palette, which made me realize what a nice blog topic this would make! I use a Masterson Sta-Wet Premier palette box . This is comprised of a box (think Tupperware) with a sponge liner and a slice of palette paper that work together to keep my paints wet. This setup allows me to work with the same palette for about a full week, having the box open for multiple hours every day. You can see what the palette looks like at the beginning of a new session above - below the exact same palette after this week's work. For the last 25 years I have used Golden brand acrylics, mediums, and varnish. I love the overall quality of these paints and the fact that, when I have a question, their customer service department is made up of artists who actually use the products. Until last year, I used their Heavy Body paints exclusively. They have a buttery consistency, a little loose...