Skip to main content

NEW PAINTING Crabgrass

 

"Crabgrass," 18"x24", acrylic on panel, $1000 plus s&h. You may purchase her directly here, or reach out to me for further details.

how do the winks that inspire the subject matter of my paintings happen? 


Last weekend I shared a drawing from my childhood of a number of animals, including a porcupine. Sure enough, a little prickly guy showed up in my newsfeed along with a mention in a book I was reading. So you know what that means, right? Three winks and she got invited straightaway to the easel.

First I filled her body cavity up with orange and pink roses (initially I wanted to use my orange and pink dahlias currently in bloom, but the petal shapes were too similar to the quills, so it didn't work out design-wise. Roses, a flower I've always thought of as my own, particularly since being the official artist of the 2015 Kentucky Derby, were a great alternative). The crabgrass aggressively growing adjacent to the dahlia and rose garden reminded me of porcupine quills, so I used photos of the to build up the marks that eventually read as quills. 

Oddly enough, now I'm thinking said porcupine drawing might actually be a whale blowing water through her blowhole....... and a beluga showed up in my insta fee the other day. Will a whale be next? who knows!!

Crabgrass can be all yours here! 

Thanks so much for following along with - and supporting - my art journey, warmly, Kim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Copyright Thieves

Dear Copyright Thieves,   Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's free for the taking. So let's just stop pretending the internet is a free-for-all.   Don't play the card that you didn't know - that's insulting. And don't also tell me that you meant to follow up and get permission but never got a chance to. That's insulting too. And by the way, don't you have a copyright protection notice on your own site?   And don't even try and point the finger at a third party who commissioned you to make a copy of my painting - again, an insult - you and I both know the difference between a reference photo and a painting.   And don't tell me that I asked for it because I share my artwork on the internet. I share my paintings and ideas and the stories behind them so as to encourage others to pursue  their own passions . I do not share so that those lacking integrity and morals can copy and market the images as their own...

Grindstone

"Grindstone", 16" x 20" acrylics on museum quality panel, depicting Grindstone, just a few strides away from winning The Kentucky Derby in 1996. Read more about this painting's story below - it's a good one! And inquiries may come directly  to me .  Paying it Forward Shortly after getting The Derby Gig, which neatly dovetailed my childhood passion for horse racing with my grown up obsession with painting, I started formulating a plan to give back to the universe. As it played out, The Kentucky Derby Museum got involved, and it was decided I would donate a piece to them, something they could use as a fundraising tool to further their education efforts.  "Would I be interested in painting Grindstone, the winner of the 1996 Derby?" they asked. But of course! Little did I know the background story, though. Every year the Museum asks the owners of the Kentucky Derby winner to donate one breeding to the Museum when th...

Fisher Price Little People Puppy, Toy #10

"Little People Puppy (Toy #10)," 6" x 6," acrylics on masonite, starring a spunky little spaniel with jointed legs made by Fisher Price This painting is $75, with free shipping inside the US. Purchasing is as simple as  asking . I didn't play with this particular version of Little People toys, but I find them very sentimental never the less. They are well designed and charming. I tried to figure out what year Fisher Price made these particular jointed toys which I own (via ebay - I have circus characters too!), but got distracted learning about the history of Little People in general. They have seemingly been around for 50+ years! The Little People barn was a HUGE part of my childhood. The barn doors opened with a "mooooo," but in my head I heard welcoming nickers. Those horses and chickens were real. The brown and orange shag carpeting of my parent's family room became lush rolling pastures of green, and the Little People...