Paintings With Soul

Since October 2006 I've been a daily painter, creating a new pet portrait at least 5 times per week. Over the years I've expanded my offerings to include a variety of animals, pets, race horses, children and other treasured heirlooms. In addition, I accept a limited number of commissions each year.

In 2015 I am honored to be the Kentucky Derby Artist.

You may use the links below right to receive my daily paintings via email or to follow my blog with a feed. I post additional info, including in-process jpgs and other related information, on the studio Facebook page as well.

Meanwhile, thanks
so much for your continued support of my artwork.

Thursday, April 19, 2007


Every so often a reference photo lands in my lap that doesn’t need much tweaking at all. Barney’s picture was just such a photo.

The texture of his curls contrasting with the smooth grass, the blue and lavender shadows in his fur laid up against the silvery highlights, and the solid abstract composition built from the general shapes of the values – all these things shouted “paint me!” I was more than happy to give in.

Of course, I did make a few changes. I softened the background, and pulled texture into the grass just at the bottom of the painting, so as not to compete with Barney’s face. And I cropped in quite a bit, to emphasize his face and the chunks of fur shrouding his eyes. And I threw a darker shadow under his chin to play up the light source.

“Barney,” 8x8 square, acrylic labradoodle portrait on canvasboard, private collection.

Thanks, as always, to everyone else for your time.
And for sharing these paintings with your friends.
Kim

Kimberly Kelly Santini
http://www.turtledovedesigns.com/
distinctive pet portraits
& 4-legged paintings

http://www.paintingadogaday.com/
come. sit. stay.
enjoy the art.

Founding member of the Canine Art Guild
http://www.canineartguild.com/
the gateway to canine art on the web
Share/Save/Bookmark

Similar Dog-a-Day Paintings

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

All the Dog-a-Days Ever......