Paintings With Soul

Since October 2006 I've been a daily painter, creating a new pet portrait at least 5 times per week. Over the years I've expanded my offerings to include a variety of animals, pets, race horses, children and other treasured heirlooms. In addition, I accept a limited number of commissions each year.

In 2015 I am honored to be the Kentucky Derby Artist.

You may use the links below right to receive my daily paintings via email or to follow my blog with a feed. I post additional info, including in-process jpgs and other related information, on the studio Facebook page as well.

Meanwhile, thanks
so much for your continued support of my artwork.

Monday, April 02, 2007


Going with the flow. That’s an important part of my artistic process.

As you recall, I started a painting last week (see Monday and Tuesday’s postings) with a specific idea in mind – that being of my dog curled up asleep on a crocheted afghan. As the painting progressed, I began to fight with the amount of detail in the dog and in the blanket - I needed to find a balance that allowed the focal point to be the sleepy expression. I struggled with repainting and rubbing out and repainting and rubbing out until I was almost crosseyed.

Eventually I stopped fighting it, and allowed the blanket to recede into the background. I softened the patterning in the granny squares, and grayed down that bright apple green that I loved so much. I laid more violet down onto the dog’s mask, and that helped to pull him forward into the viewer’s lap a bit more, too.

There are still a few things I would like to change, but I simply ran out of time. I submitted the painting to the competition at 11:50pm last might, 10 minutes before the show deadline. Now it’s just a matter of waiting to see if the juror wants it – if so, it’ll stay as is. If I get rejected from the show, then that will be my excuse to lay back into the painting.

Go with the flow, right?

“Cat Nap (Finnigan),” 16” x 20”, acrylic pet portrait on canvasboard, not currently available. If this piece gets juried into the show, it will be framed and then offered through the event organizers. If not, like I said, I’ll be working on it some more.

Thanks, as always, for looking.
And for sharing these paintings with your friends and family,
Kim

Kimberly Kelly Santini
http://www.turtledovedesigns.com/
distinctive pet portraits
& 4-legged paintings

http://www.paintingadogaday.com/
come. sit. stay.
enjoy the art.

Founding member of the Canine Art Guild
http://www.canineartguild.com/
the gateway to canine art on the web
Share/Save/Bookmark

Similar Dog-a-Day Paintings

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

All the Dog-a-Days Ever......