Skip to main content

My apologies in advance to all you dog fans out there - I know you've seen quite a few cats lately. I promise to get back to canines starting tomorrow.

"Winter Sunlight," 14" x 20", portrait of my Miah, acrylic on gallery wrapped canvas. I'm keeping this one for myself.

Miah took a turn for the worse over the weekend. This morning it was time to let her go. I held he while she crossed the bridge, and shed what felt like the millionth tear.

I didn't feel much like doing anything but lingering with her memories most of the morning, so I indulged myself. When I wandered into the studio to sort through the mail, this half-finished canvas was staring at me. I had blocked it in immediately after painting two dog-a-day paintings of Miah earlier this year (posted on March 11th, 2008). I found myself pulling the canvas down and setting my palette up with the greens.

As a kitten Miah rode on my shoulders when I painted. What I wouldn't give to feel her warmth one more time. She was the sort of cat who thought she was a person, and was my constant companion until arthritis made the stairs an obstacle. We moved the litterbox up 2 flights, and Miah and Turtle took up residence in "the penthouse." Miah studiously tracked the path of the sun during the day, tormented the boys' frogs (in tanks in their bedroom), and enjoyed her treetop squirrel watching post (aka the windowseat). In the evenings she took bedtime very seriously, up until Saturday helping tuck each child in and purring them to sleep.

Surprisingly I found great solace in painting her today. She was - and will continue to be - a powerful muse.

This portrait will hang in a place of honor, and we will proudly carry a bit of her with us. She's left a terrible emptiness in this household, where she reigned for 19 years.

Thanks, as always, for looking. And for sharing these paintings and stories with your friends and family.
Talk to you tomorrow,
Kim

Kimberly Kelly Santini
http://www.turtledovedesigns.com/
distinctive pet portraits
& 4-legged paintings

http://www.paintingadogaday.com/
come. sit. stay.
enjoy the art.

Founding member of the Canine Art Guild
http://www.canineartguild.com/
the gateway to canine art on the web

Comments

  1. Oh Kim...
    I'm so very sorry to hear of Miah's passing...It's so hard losing our furry companions....they become so ingrained in our lives and hearts.
    Thinking of you and your family.

    Lauren Finn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Copyright Thieves

Dear Copyright Thieves,   Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's free for the taking. So let's just stop pretending the internet is a free-for-all.   Don't play the card that you didn't know - that's insulting. And don't also tell me that you meant to follow up and get permission but never got a chance to. That's insulting too. And by the way, don't you have a copyright protection notice on your own site?   And don't even try and point the finger at a third party who commissioned you to make a copy of my painting - again, an insult - you and I both know the difference between a reference photo and a painting.   And don't tell me that I asked for it because I share my artwork on the internet. I share my paintings and ideas and the stories behind them so as to encourage others to pursue  their own passions . I do not share so that those lacking integrity and morals can copy and market the images as their own...

Grindstone

"Grindstone", 16" x 20" acrylics on museum quality panel, depicting Grindstone, just a few strides away from winning The Kentucky Derby in 1996. Read more about this painting's story below - it's a good one! And inquiries may come directly  to me .  Paying it Forward Shortly after getting The Derby Gig, which neatly dovetailed my childhood passion for horse racing with my grown up obsession with painting, I started formulating a plan to give back to the universe. As it played out, The Kentucky Derby Museum got involved, and it was decided I would donate a piece to them, something they could use as a fundraising tool to further their education efforts.  "Would I be interested in painting Grindstone, the winner of the 1996 Derby?" they asked. But of course! Little did I know the background story, though. Every year the Museum asks the owners of the Kentucky Derby winner to donate one breeding to the Museum when th...

Golden Open Acrylics

I get all sorts of process oriented questions. Most recently I've been getting asked a lot about my paints and palette, which made me realize what a nice blog topic this would make! I use a Masterson Sta-Wet Premier palette box . This is comprised of a box (think Tupperware) with a sponge liner and a slice of palette paper that work together to keep my paints wet. This setup allows me to work with the same palette for about a full week, having the box open for multiple hours every day. You can see what the palette looks like at the beginning of a new session above - below the exact same palette after this week's work. For the last 25 years I have used Golden brand acrylics, mediums, and varnish. I love the overall quality of these paints and the fact that, when I have a question, their customer service department is made up of artists who actually use the products. Until last year, I used their Heavy Body paints exclusively. They have a buttery consistency, a little loose...