Skip to main content

The Big Red Dog (Amos)


"The Big Red Dog (Amos)," 28" x 24", commissioned mastiff dog portrait, acrylic on gallery stretched canvas, private collection (THANK YOU!!).

Isn't this dog the poster child for Life?

Well, his person is even more special. I felt as though I have always known her, that she is an lifelong and dear friend.

She even brought chocolate cupcakes to yesterday's painting preview (now you KNOW this is a woman after my own heart!). Not only were the cupcakes delicious, but they were gorgeous, too. I saved one from the suddenly savage children, because it beckoned to be painted.... and then eaten.... by myself, in the corner of the studio, while noone was looking.....

I am grateful that Amos lives a few stone skips away, so I am able to continue this unexpected gift of friendship, long after delivery of the painting.

As far as the larger than life portraits go (which this one barely qualifies as!), these are different than the dog-a-day paintings. They evolve around a concept that matches the animals' distinctive personality, and often involve photo shoots, along with preparatory sketches and color studies. This entire process can take up to a year.

I accept a limited number of larger than life commissions. If you are interested in getting on my waiting list, please send me your contact information and a few snapshots of your dog/cat/horse/whatever (ok, not really "whatever," but you get the gist!), and we can begin a conversation. Inquiries may always come to ksantini@turtledovedesigns.com .

Thanks, as always, for looking.
And for sharing these paintings with your friends and family.
Kim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Copyright Thieves

Dear Copyright Thieves,   Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's free for the taking. So let's just stop pretending the internet is a free-for-all.   Don't play the card that you didn't know - that's insulting. And don't also tell me that you meant to follow up and get permission but never got a chance to. That's insulting too. And by the way, don't you have a copyright protection notice on your own site?   And don't even try and point the finger at a third party who commissioned you to make a copy of my painting - again, an insult - you and I both know the difference between a reference photo and a painting.   And don't tell me that I asked for it because I share my artwork on the internet. I share my paintings and ideas and the stories behind them so as to encourage others to pursue  their own passions . I do not share so that those lacking integrity and morals can copy and market the images as their own...

Grindstone

"Grindstone", 16" x 20" acrylics on museum quality panel, depicting Grindstone, just a few strides away from winning The Kentucky Derby in 1996. Read more about this painting's story below - it's a good one! And inquiries may come directly  to me .  Paying it Forward Shortly after getting The Derby Gig, which neatly dovetailed my childhood passion for horse racing with my grown up obsession with painting, I started formulating a plan to give back to the universe. As it played out, The Kentucky Derby Museum got involved, and it was decided I would donate a piece to them, something they could use as a fundraising tool to further their education efforts.  "Would I be interested in painting Grindstone, the winner of the 1996 Derby?" they asked. But of course! Little did I know the background story, though. Every year the Museum asks the owners of the Kentucky Derby winner to donate one breeding to the Museum when th...

Fisher Price Little People Puppy, Toy #10

"Little People Puppy (Toy #10)," 6" x 6," acrylics on masonite, starring a spunky little spaniel with jointed legs made by Fisher Price This painting is $75, with free shipping inside the US. Purchasing is as simple as  asking . I didn't play with this particular version of Little People toys, but I find them very sentimental never the less. They are well designed and charming. I tried to figure out what year Fisher Price made these particular jointed toys which I own (via ebay - I have circus characters too!), but got distracted learning about the history of Little People in general. They have seemingly been around for 50+ years! The Little People barn was a HUGE part of my childhood. The barn doors opened with a "mooooo," but in my head I heard welcoming nickers. Those horses and chickens were real. The brown and orange shag carpeting of my parent's family room became lush rolling pastures of green, and the Little People...