Skip to main content

Nuzzling Hope




"Nuzzling Hope," 6" x 8", done in Golden Open Acrylics on a Raymar panel. Commissioned portrait of a paint mare and foal, the latest painting in my Gratitude Series (paintings of animals who were once homeless).

Hope (the mare above) and Lucky Star (the foal) were 2 of a dozen horses rescued in Arizona this summer. Abandoned, malnourished, some injured, most suffering from foot problems/abcesses/serious infections, the horses were in rough shape.

They were moved to a clean and safe facility, Hoofbeats With Heart, where they received proper veterinary care and nourishment, among other things like feet trimmings, baths, and TLC (You can see photos on a Facebook page dedicated to the 12 horses' recovery).

All 12 have all been adopted out - what a fabulously happy ending to the story, right? Yeah, I agree!

My client, who was involved in the rescue, commissioned Hope and Lucky Star's portrait. She is donating this original painting to Hoofbeats With Heart, where the piece will be auctioned off as part of their Charity Horse Show the weekend of October 1st.

Thanks, as always, for looking at and sharing my paintings with your friends and family,
Kim

PS This painting sold at auction for over $3500 cash plus $1600 worth of alfalfa for the horses - how cool is that? Congratulations to the organization for recruiting such passionate bidders!!



Holiday Cards

This year I have a reliable vendor who can deliver custom notecards bearing the image of your favorite Dog a Day painting.

Whether you are mailing or gifting, these notecards will bring smiles and warm hugs to the recipient.

Order "Holiday Lights" (above), Mona Lisa's first Christmas portrait, here.

Or browse the nearly 200 images I have available here.

Don't see what you want? Shoot me an email and I'll dig it out for you!!

Thanks so much!




Comments

  1. Sweet painting young one. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Une belle force d'amour dans le regard... Tout plein de tendresse dans cette magnifique peinture.
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

“Katie’s Moustache,” 6x12, pet portrait in acrylic on canvasboard, $90. Inquiries to ksantini@turtledovedesigns.com . One glimpse of Katie’s face, and I was hooked. Not only did she fall into my beloved “black & white” category, but she came with a full moustache and doe-like eyes. I first covered the canvas with a variety of blues and purples, using a (mixed) light green and pink for the highlights. (Right now my palette has been expanded to include the following: pthalo blue red, azurite hue, cad red dark, alizarine crimson, cad yellow dark, and then for graying/hazing out I use light green yellow and ultramarine purple.) I lighten with titanium white and darken with one of the blues and a touch of one of the reds. As a side note, at this time last year I was really struggling with my limited palette (I went from about 60 pots of paint to 3), but I have lived the benefits – I am so much more familiar with what I can mix given just this handful of colors. My paintings are also m...

Dear Copyright Thieves

Dear Copyright Thieves,   Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's free for the taking. So let's just stop pretending the internet is a free-for-all.   Don't play the card that you didn't know - that's insulting. And don't also tell me that you meant to follow up and get permission but never got a chance to. That's insulting too. And by the way, don't you have a copyright protection notice on your own site?   And don't even try and point the finger at a third party who commissioned you to make a copy of my painting - again, an insult - you and I both know the difference between a reference photo and a painting.   And don't tell me that I asked for it because I share my artwork on the internet. I share my paintings and ideas and the stories behind them so as to encourage others to pursue  their own passions . I do not share so that those lacking integrity and morals can copy and market the images as their own...

Golden Open Acrylics

I get all sorts of process oriented questions. Most recently I've been getting asked a lot about my paints and palette, which made me realize what a nice blog topic this would make! I use a Masterson Sta-Wet Premier palette box . This is comprised of a box (think Tupperware) with a sponge liner and a slice of palette paper that work together to keep my paints wet. This setup allows me to work with the same palette for about a full week, having the box open for multiple hours every day. You can see what the palette looks like at the beginning of a new session above - below the exact same palette after this week's work. For the last 25 years I have used Golden brand acrylics, mediums, and varnish. I love the overall quality of these paints and the fact that, when I have a question, their customer service department is made up of artists who actually use the products. Until last year, I used their Heavy Body paints exclusively. They have a buttery consistency, a little loose...