Paintings With Soul

Since October 2006 I've been a daily painter, creating a new pet portrait at least 5 times per week. Over the years I've expanded my offerings to include a variety of animals, pets, race horses, children and other treasured heirlooms. In addition, I accept a limited number of commissions each year.

In 2015 I am honored to be the Kentucky Derby Artist.

You may use the links below right to receive my daily paintings via email or to follow my blog with a feed. I post additional info, including in-process jpgs and other related information, on the studio Facebook page as well.

Meanwhile, thanks
so much for your continued support of my artwork.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007


While filming yesterday, I was asked about the lessons I learned in specific dog-a-day paintings (I had brought along about 15 of them). That got me to thinking this morning about my specific tasks/goals before I even picked up a paintbrush. I studied my reference photo, and decided to practice the following:

I wanted to paint reflected light and color off a dark surface.

I wanted to play with edges, using sharper ones near the focal point (his face), and softer, blurred edges in the remainder to the painting.

Again to emphasize the focal point, I would place all the color and the strongest contrasts in the face.

“Terrier Study”, 5x7, dog portrait in acrylic on canvasboard. Inquiries can come to ksantini@turtledovedesigns.com .

Thanks, as always, for looking.And for sharing these paintings with friends and family,
Kim

Kimberly Kelly Santini
http://www.turtledovedesigns.com/
distinctive pet portraits
& 4-legged paintings

http://www.paintingadogaday.com/
come. sit. stay.
enjoy the art.

Founding member of the Canine Art Guild
http://www.canineartguild.com/
the gateway to canine art on the web
Share/Save/Bookmark

Similar Dog-a-Day Paintings

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

All the Dog-a-Days Ever......