Skip to main content

It's been another wild day here in the Santini household. The kids all got on their respective buses (albeit one was 1/2 hour late, and my son insisted that school had been cancelled and everyone at the busstop just didn't know it), which was a true blessing. Because the dog got sick.

He threw up mountains of yech in his crate during the night, and this morning was curled up in one corner, trying to avoid it all. At first I just thought he ate something that didn't agree with him. Spent the entire morning cleaning up - I'd let him outside and he'd throw up, come back in all shivery, go to his crate, get sick, go back outside, get sick again - it was a never ending cycle. He was just miserable, and I was feeling rather helpless in my inability to make things better.

Shortly after lunchtime there were traces of blood in his vomit and he had bloody diareah. So it was off to the vet with a couple ziplock baggies full of stained snow and a dog who now was clearly in distress.

She's diagnosed Finnigan with acute pancreatitis, and started an aggressive treatment. I left him there comfortable, drifting off to sleep, curled up in one of the kids' blankets from the car. We get to bring him home overnight, and then he goes back for additional meds and care all day tomorrow, and again on Thursday.

So here it is, midafternoon, I haven't picked a brush up all day, the dog crate could use another serious hose down, and I should go scrape off the frozen bits of dog vomit from the front porch before the kids track it in. In light of all that, I've opted to share a recently completed lifesize portrait with you today. I'm sure you'll forgive me the deviation from the dog-a-day routine!!


So this is a commissioned pet portrait, "Madison,", 12" x 14", acrylic on gallery wrapped canvas, of a doberman mix. The painting was commissioned posthumously, which meant working from a number of less than optimal photographs. My client dug through boxes of ephemera, locating the best images she could, and even taking apart scrapbook pages. I am awaiting final approval, but I do think that we managed to build a nicely scaled portrait shining with Maddie's personality. I look forward to delivering the piece to her family. Projects like this one are so heartwarming.

Thanks, as always, for looking.
And for sharing these paintings with your friends and family,
I'll be back tomorrow,
Kim



Kimberly Kelly Santini
http://www.turtledovedesigns.com/
distinctive pet portraits
& 4-legged paintings

http://www.paintingadogaday.com/
come. sit. stay.
enjoy the art.

Founding member of the Canine Art Guild
http://www.canineartguild.com/
the gateway to canine art on the web

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Copyright Thieves

Dear Copyright Thieves,   Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's free for the taking. So let's just stop pretending the internet is a free-for-all.   Don't play the card that you didn't know - that's insulting. And don't also tell me that you meant to follow up and get permission but never got a chance to. That's insulting too. And by the way, don't you have a copyright protection notice on your own site?   And don't even try and point the finger at a third party who commissioned you to make a copy of my painting - again, an insult - you and I both know the difference between a reference photo and a painting.   And don't tell me that I asked for it because I share my artwork on the internet. I share my paintings and ideas and the stories behind them so as to encourage others to pursue  their own passions . I do not share so that those lacking integrity and morals can copy and market the images as their own...

Grindstone

"Grindstone", 16" x 20" acrylics on museum quality panel, depicting Grindstone, just a few strides away from winning The Kentucky Derby in 1996. Read more about this painting's story below - it's a good one! And inquiries may come directly  to me .  Paying it Forward Shortly after getting The Derby Gig, which neatly dovetailed my childhood passion for horse racing with my grown up obsession with painting, I started formulating a plan to give back to the universe. As it played out, The Kentucky Derby Museum got involved, and it was decided I would donate a piece to them, something they could use as a fundraising tool to further their education efforts.  "Would I be interested in painting Grindstone, the winner of the 1996 Derby?" they asked. But of course! Little did I know the background story, though. Every year the Museum asks the owners of the Kentucky Derby winner to donate one breeding to the Museum when th...

Golden Open Acrylics

I get all sorts of process oriented questions. Most recently I've been getting asked a lot about my paints and palette, which made me realize what a nice blog topic this would make! I use a Masterson Sta-Wet Premier palette box . This is comprised of a box (think Tupperware) with a sponge liner and a slice of palette paper that work together to keep my paints wet. This setup allows me to work with the same palette for about a full week, having the box open for multiple hours every day. You can see what the palette looks like at the beginning of a new session above - below the exact same palette after this week's work. For the last 25 years I have used Golden brand acrylics, mediums, and varnish. I love the overall quality of these paints and the fact that, when I have a question, their customer service department is made up of artists who actually use the products. Until last year, I used their Heavy Body paints exclusively. They have a buttery consistency, a little loose...