Paintings With Soul

Since October 2006 I've been a daily painter, creating a new pet portrait at least 5 times per week. Over the years I've expanded my offerings to include a variety of animals, pets, race horses, children and other treasured heirlooms. In addition, I accept a limited number of commissions each year.

In 2015 I am honored to be the Kentucky Derby Artist.

You may use the links below right to receive my daily paintings via email or to follow my blog with a feed. I post additional info, including in-process jpgs and other related information, on the studio Facebook page as well.

Meanwhile, thanks
so much for your continued support of my artwork.

Thursday, February 21, 2008



"Big, Bigger, Biggest (from the Tags, Toys & Treasures series)," 10" x 12", still life comprised of vintage Fisher Price toys, acrylic on panel, $440. Inquiries to ksantini@turtledovedesigns.com .

I was talking to another artist the other night - he has a beautiful series of old toy still lifes going as well - and we were laughing at how we felt, going into the studio to work on setups like this. It's enough of a treat to spend the day in front of my easel, and even better when I get to paint something as packed with great memories as these toys.

I remain surprised at how much enjoyment I've gathered working with still lifes. When I took last fall's class I expected to learn new approaches to painting, but I didn't expect the sort of revolution it brought along. I'm working my way through the syllabus a third time now, reviewing my notes and repeating each lesson. The lessons are starting to blur together, as I become more comfortable with the various challenges. That is exactly my goal!

This painting represents working with objects that are high in contrast, while also incorporateing a lot of white surfaces. This forced me to model and shape forms with brushwork and color temperature shifts. It involved a lot of studied looking, squinting down at the objects, stepping back often from my canvas and the setup, and meticulously careful markmaking.

I also indulged in some very loud music - I love that with my ipod I can create a playlist that compliments the days' activities.

I know I posted about this show a few weeks back, but it's worth another mention. Hosted by the Canine Art Guild, an international fellowship of dog-loving artists, it's a very strong collection of canine art. The show can be viewed at www.canineartguild.com/gallery . There's three pages of the artists' interpretation of the show's theme "Black and White," and you can vote for People's Choice. If you haven't visited yet, take a minute to do so.

Thanks, as always, for looking. And for sharing these paintings with your friends and family.
Tomorrow it will be a return to the Painting a Dog a Day roots, with two commissioned portraits, juicy in color and bursting with personality.
Kim

Kimberly Kelly Santini
http://www.turtledovedesigns.com/
distinctive pet portraits
& 4-legged paintings

http://www.paintingadogaday.com/
come. sit. stay.
enjoy the art.

Founding member of the Canine Art Guild
http://www.canineartguild.com/
the gateway to canine art on the web
Share/Save/Bookmark

Similar Dog-a-Day Paintings

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

All the Dog-a-Days Ever......