Paintings With Soul

Since October 2006 I've been a daily painter, creating a new pet portrait at least 5 times per week. Over the years I've expanded my offerings to include a variety of animals, pets, race horses, children and other treasured heirlooms. In addition, I accept a limited number of commissions each year.

In 2015 I am honored to be the Kentucky Derby Artist.

You may use the links below right to receive my daily paintings via email or to follow my blog with a feed. I post additional info, including in-process jpgs and other related information, on the studio Facebook page as well.

Meanwhile, thanks
so much for your continued support of my artwork.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Practice Practice Practice


Last night, The Princess (pictured above) and I set up Tootsie Roll still lifes and did some 10 minute paintings.

This is a concept I first learned in college. Back then we called them gesture studies. They were charcoal sketches done with 10/15/30 second live model poses. It was the perfect warm up to larger drawings and helped me better understand the principles of movement and balance.

In painting classes I also did my share of thumbnail sketches - small studies at 4-5 minutes each of a still life setup, with the object placement or lighting shifted in each. These are a great way to figure out problems BEFORE you get to the big painting.

Also key - working quickly takes the pressure off making something perfect from the get-go and allows you to focus instead on capturing the essence of your subject.

I was reminded of the value of this exercise when theDaily Paintworks' challenge (a few weeks back) was 10 Minute Paintings. I've been meaning to paint me some 10 minute pieces ever since.

The Princess and I had so much fun that we're repeating the exercise again tonight. This time with Cadbury eggs and breaks for homemade chocolate mousse.

What should we paint tomorrow night?

Thanks in advance for sharing my artwork with your friends and family,
Kim
(4) 10 Minute Paintings done on an 11" x 14" canvaspanel -
the photo's a little dark due to our glum and gloomy day.
10 Minute Tootsies

I love painting Tootsie Rolls - each one is uniquely shaped and wrapped. When spotlit they take on a special character.

Do you have a similar sweet tooth? I've got several Tootsie Roll and candy-themed paintings available for purchase.

I'm open to painting commissioned candies, too - one of the perks of painting candy is getting to eat the setup when the painting is done! Let me know if you want to see something special.

And if you are interested in the above 11" x 14" study ($150), shoot me an email.

Thanks in advance!
Share/Save/Bookmark

Similar Dog-a-Day Paintings

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

All the Dog-a-Days Ever......