Skip to main content

Moppet, A Gratitude Painting

"Moppet," from The Gratitude Project, companion piece to yesterday's portrait of "Dixie," 6" square, commissioned portrait of a rescued Yorkshire Terrier, done in Golden Open Acrylics on gessobord, private collection (THANK YOU!!). As with all the paintings in "The Gratitude Project," proceeds from the sale of Moppet's portrait will benefit Yorkshire Terrier National Rescue.

Both Moppet and Dixie were understandably terrified of the camera (did you read their story?), so there was some coaching and training that went on behind the scenes. The idea was to gradually desensitize the dogs' to the camera and reinforce their newfound trust in their caregivers.

Their Mom began by associating the camera with treats - a smidge of peanut butter or a morsel of chicken, along with lots of petting and kind words. No picture taking, just nosing around the camera, smelling good things, and getting loved on.

Once they were comfortable with it, a (spare) camera got tucked into their bed and left around where they could comfortably co-exist. Moppet and Dixie became used to seeing and smelling it, just like any other household object.

And they began to look forward to the camera getting picked up, because guess what? they got treats and love when that camera was being waved in the air!

After several months, photo sessions ensued with the flash off (did you know that flashbulbs scare many animals?) and lots more treats and kind words.

And I had the references I needed to build their portraits and share their stories!

Do you have a rescued dog? share her story with me - you might just see a familiar face show up in your email one day.......

Thanks for sharing my artwork with your friends and family,
Kim
Spread the Love - Volunteer!!

Many Dog a Day fans are actively involved in promoting animal welfare. It's easier than you think, too:

  • A quick Google search will locate rescues and shelters in your area. Many have basic needs such as old household linens, cleaning supplies, and newspaper - things you might already be throwing out
  • Consider fostering a homeless animal - in some cases, food and veterinary care is included - talk to your shelter or local rescue group for details on how they arrange fosters (NOTE: my shelter always needs foster homes for momma cats so that kittens can be born in a family friendly environment)
  • Have computer skills? help a rescue design flyers or even assist with their web site, all from the comfort of your own home
  • Offer to walk a neighbor's dog. No neighbors? then hit up your shelter and walk some of theirs
  • Coordinate a neighborhood poop scoop of easements and other spaces
  • Host a pot-luck picnic where attendees bring a dish to pass and a donation for your local shelter/rescue
  • Set up a lemonade stand with proceeds going to your local shelter

When our children see us acting with compassion, it becomes second nature to them.

And everybody, including our companion animals, wins!

Comments

  1. okay, every time i come look at your site i'm overwhelmed by how stinking talented you are!!! i just love your brush strokes and color combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, you are the best! keep coming back, chickie - I love to entertain you!! :) thanks for the comment, Kim

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Copyright Thieves

Dear Copyright Thieves,   Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's free for the taking. So let's just stop pretending the internet is a free-for-all.   Don't play the card that you didn't know - that's insulting. And don't also tell me that you meant to follow up and get permission but never got a chance to. That's insulting too. And by the way, don't you have a copyright protection notice on your own site?   And don't even try and point the finger at a third party who commissioned you to make a copy of my painting - again, an insult - you and I both know the difference between a reference photo and a painting.   And don't tell me that I asked for it because I share my artwork on the internet. I share my paintings and ideas and the stories behind them so as to encourage others to pursue  their own passions . I do not share so that those lacking integrity and morals can copy and market the images as their own...

Grindstone

"Grindstone", 16" x 20" acrylics on museum quality panel, depicting Grindstone, just a few strides away from winning The Kentucky Derby in 1996. Read more about this painting's story below - it's a good one! And inquiries may come directly  to me .  Paying it Forward Shortly after getting The Derby Gig, which neatly dovetailed my childhood passion for horse racing with my grown up obsession with painting, I started formulating a plan to give back to the universe. As it played out, The Kentucky Derby Museum got involved, and it was decided I would donate a piece to them, something they could use as a fundraising tool to further their education efforts.  "Would I be interested in painting Grindstone, the winner of the 1996 Derby?" they asked. But of course! Little did I know the background story, though. Every year the Museum asks the owners of the Kentucky Derby winner to donate one breeding to the Museum when th...

Golden Open Acrylics

I get all sorts of process oriented questions. Most recently I've been getting asked a lot about my paints and palette, which made me realize what a nice blog topic this would make! I use a Masterson Sta-Wet Premier palette box . This is comprised of a box (think Tupperware) with a sponge liner and a slice of palette paper that work together to keep my paints wet. This setup allows me to work with the same palette for about a full week, having the box open for multiple hours every day. You can see what the palette looks like at the beginning of a new session above - below the exact same palette after this week's work. For the last 25 years I have used Golden brand acrylics, mediums, and varnish. I love the overall quality of these paints and the fact that, when I have a question, their customer service department is made up of artists who actually use the products. Until last year, I used their Heavy Body paints exclusively. They have a buttery consistency, a little loose...