Skip to main content

Dragon Slayers II, A Lesson Painting, Part I


To combat the gray and gloom outside my window (and literally in the news and everywhere I seem to go), I decided today's painting had to be lighthearted and fun.
 

Here's the beginning of the second painting in my Dragon Slayers series. This one is a 10" square Raymar panel.

 

I started with a rough outline of my subject, as I was making some shifts from the original reference photo and wanted to make certain the square format was going to work. (Yes, I could have done a thumbnail sketch and prepared more conventionally for this, but I was too anxious to get to work) After sketching, I laid down a bold wash, using warm colors for the foreground and my subject, and a cooler green at the top to help my background fade into the distance.

 

Grabbing a wide flat brush, I started roughing in my focal point, working from it outwards. I'm not focusing on anything other than defining values and starting to carve form. My marks are sloppy and my color is not nearly precise. I work quickly because the majority of these marks will ultimately be covered with other layers, so I am not going to stress or slave over them quite yet.

 

(Nope, it's not your eyes - my pic is blurry - sorry!)

 

Once I covered the majority of the canvas with a layer of marks, I went back in and redrew the faces very carefully. Now I am paying better attention to form, relationships, and color. And making sure I leave plenty of strategically placed "peek a boo pockets" - those bits of boldly colored underpainting.

 
Thanks, as always, for looking at and sharing my paintings with your friends and family,
Kim
 

 
COMING UP ~~ PAINTING WORKSHOP "Mixing Color Not Mud": Saturday, October 8th, at the Orion Art Center in Lake Orion MICHIGAN. Email me to get on the early bird list.



Carol Marine

 
Many of you will recognize Carol's name, as she is one of my long time daily painting mentors. A fabulously talented artist and equally gifted instructor, she and her husband David have never been less than exhorbitantly generous with their support of the art community.

 
So it was with great sadness that I learned her home - and studio - burned to the ground over the weekend. 

 
It was just one house of hundreds that have burned - and are burning still - as the wildfires rake their way across Texas.

 
If you are so inclined, a fund has been set up for Carol and her family.

 
There's also various organizations that are stepping up to help displaced families, and of course, animals, too.

 
The flooding in the North East is heartbreaking, and there are hardships all around us - we need not look far.

 
If you cannot give financial assistance or volunteer your time, please consider sending prayers and karma in their place. Compassion is always greatly appreciated.
 
 
 

Comments

  1. Kim, I enjoy your work so much but have never commented before. It is really neat to see the process. Thank you for taking us through the steps.

    And the Dragon Slayer series is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Lynn, for taking the time to comment. I'm delighted that you are enjoying the series AND my process/lesson paintings! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Copyright Thieves

Dear Copyright Thieves,   Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's free for the taking. So let's just stop pretending the internet is a free-for-all.   Don't play the card that you didn't know - that's insulting. And don't also tell me that you meant to follow up and get permission but never got a chance to. That's insulting too. And by the way, don't you have a copyright protection notice on your own site?   And don't even try and point the finger at a third party who commissioned you to make a copy of my painting - again, an insult - you and I both know the difference between a reference photo and a painting.   And don't tell me that I asked for it because I share my artwork on the internet. I share my paintings and ideas and the stories behind them so as to encourage others to pursue  their own passions . I do not share so that those lacking integrity and morals can copy and market the images as their own...

Grindstone

"Grindstone", 16" x 20" acrylics on museum quality panel, depicting Grindstone, just a few strides away from winning The Kentucky Derby in 1996. Read more about this painting's story below - it's a good one! And inquiries may come directly  to me .  Paying it Forward Shortly after getting The Derby Gig, which neatly dovetailed my childhood passion for horse racing with my grown up obsession with painting, I started formulating a plan to give back to the universe. As it played out, The Kentucky Derby Museum got involved, and it was decided I would donate a piece to them, something they could use as a fundraising tool to further their education efforts.  "Would I be interested in painting Grindstone, the winner of the 1996 Derby?" they asked. But of course! Little did I know the background story, though. Every year the Museum asks the owners of the Kentucky Derby winner to donate one breeding to the Museum when th...

Golden Open Acrylics

I get all sorts of process oriented questions. Most recently I've been getting asked a lot about my paints and palette, which made me realize what a nice blog topic this would make! I use a Masterson Sta-Wet Premier palette box . This is comprised of a box (think Tupperware) with a sponge liner and a slice of palette paper that work together to keep my paints wet. This setup allows me to work with the same palette for about a full week, having the box open for multiple hours every day. You can see what the palette looks like at the beginning of a new session above - below the exact same palette after this week's work. For the last 25 years I have used Golden brand acrylics, mediums, and varnish. I love the overall quality of these paints and the fact that, when I have a question, their customer service department is made up of artists who actually use the products. Until last year, I used their Heavy Body paints exclusively. They have a buttery consistency, a little loose...