Skip to main content

Go, Dog, Go (Jack), A Gratitude Painting


 
 
"Go, Dog, Go! (Jack)," 5" x 11", portrait of a doxie with special needs, done in acrylics on a museum quality panel, $299. Proceeds from the sale of "Go, Dog, Go" will benefit the San Francisco SPCA in California, where Jack is an "employee." Inquiries may come to me. 
 

 
 

A Dog a Day collector, in cahoots with her daughter who's finishing up verterinary school in California, sent me several folders worth of muses. Photographs of clinic dogs and kitties, as well as pictures of friends' pets.

 
That's how I met Jack.

 
He came into rescue with a previous back injury that left his hind end paralyzed - his family was undergoing difficulties and could no longer keep him. He went into an emergency foster home, but that home's resident dog had other plans. She bonded with Jack, as did everyone else, and he became a fixture.

 
Jack leads a very active life, and his wheelchair does not slow him down in the least. His Mom says that he even goes faster than daschundly possible on occasion.

 
And he always has his tennis ball close at hand.

 
The best news? that Jack is regaining function in his back legs and sometimes stands up on all fours to eat!

 
Cheers to all those foster homes that take in special needs animals like Jack!!

 
Kim

 
PS You can see all the Gratitude Paintings to date here.
 


 


Finnigan contemplates various angles in preparation for setting up a dinosaur live drawing session on Monday

 
Draw a Dinosaur Day!!

 
You read it right - on Monday, January 30th, it's Draw a Dinosaur Day.

 
At some point a person decides if they can or cannot draw. Those who think they cannot give it up and rarely attempt to doodle anything but smiley faces and tic-tac-toe boards. For the rest of their lives.
 

How sad it that?
 

So on Monday, regardless of whether you think you can or cannot draw, I challenge you to try your hand at a dinosaur. 

 
And then load it up onto the officialDraw a Dinosaur website.

 
And then YOU can turn around and challenge your family members, friends, and co-workers to do the same.

 
Drawing is supposed to be fun, contemplatative and an escape from reality. See if you can't capture a little bit of that on Monday!

 
ROAR!!
 

Comments

  1. Une peinture pleine de tendresse...
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  2. So precious!! I want to give him a big kiss on his little doxy head. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you, Martine and Sara, for your kind words. I know Jack will appreciate the kisses!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Copyright Thieves

Dear Copyright Thieves,   Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's free for the taking. So let's just stop pretending the internet is a free-for-all.   Don't play the card that you didn't know - that's insulting. And don't also tell me that you meant to follow up and get permission but never got a chance to. That's insulting too. And by the way, don't you have a copyright protection notice on your own site?   And don't even try and point the finger at a third party who commissioned you to make a copy of my painting - again, an insult - you and I both know the difference between a reference photo and a painting.   And don't tell me that I asked for it because I share my artwork on the internet. I share my paintings and ideas and the stories behind them so as to encourage others to pursue  their own passions . I do not share so that those lacking integrity and morals can copy and market the images as their own...

Grindstone

"Grindstone", 16" x 20" acrylics on museum quality panel, depicting Grindstone, just a few strides away from winning The Kentucky Derby in 1996. Read more about this painting's story below - it's a good one! And inquiries may come directly  to me .  Paying it Forward Shortly after getting The Derby Gig, which neatly dovetailed my childhood passion for horse racing with my grown up obsession with painting, I started formulating a plan to give back to the universe. As it played out, The Kentucky Derby Museum got involved, and it was decided I would donate a piece to them, something they could use as a fundraising tool to further their education efforts.  "Would I be interested in painting Grindstone, the winner of the 1996 Derby?" they asked. But of course! Little did I know the background story, though. Every year the Museum asks the owners of the Kentucky Derby winner to donate one breeding to the Museum when th...

Golden Open Acrylics

I get all sorts of process oriented questions. Most recently I've been getting asked a lot about my paints and palette, which made me realize what a nice blog topic this would make! I use a Masterson Sta-Wet Premier palette box . This is comprised of a box (think Tupperware) with a sponge liner and a slice of palette paper that work together to keep my paints wet. This setup allows me to work with the same palette for about a full week, having the box open for multiple hours every day. You can see what the palette looks like at the beginning of a new session above - below the exact same palette after this week's work. For the last 25 years I have used Golden brand acrylics, mediums, and varnish. I love the overall quality of these paints and the fact that, when I have a question, their customer service department is made up of artists who actually use the products. Until last year, I used their Heavy Body paints exclusively. They have a buttery consistency, a little loose...