Skip to main content

Snow Much Fun



 
"Snow Much Fun", 14" x 32", acrylic on panel, starring Nita-the-Fierce-Snowball-Hunter, hopefully headed to this year's Art Show at the Dog Show. Inquiries may come to me.


 

Here is another painting I've prepared specifically for this year's Art Show at the Dog Show. This one I did during the holiday break - it's a big portrait, and took me several days to complete.

 
You may recall the far left pose as one I painted before - at the time I was unhappy with certain elements and wanted to give it another shot (the background is certainly lovely, but poor Nita has no neck and shoulders as painted, and it's painful to look at!).

 
Originally I sketched Snow Much Fun with a different airborn pose on the far left. It didn't take me long to figure out that I needed the more inviting "come on and play" Nita to make the piece even more irresistable.

 
Any who, the tunes were cranked (I'm digging on the new Florence + the Machine release) and the paint was flying (just like the snow) while I worked on this piece.

 
My favorite bits are the super loose brushwork - many of the marks look like doodles. And the joy apparent in Nita's face led to some joyful color selections as well (I am in love with that turquiose blue-green that I sketched her with!).
 

There's PLENTY of views of this painting in process on the studio Facebook page - just visit the "Mobile Uploads" folder and step back a few days, since I worked on it at the tail end of last week and over the weekend.

 
I need to also thank Nita's mom for sending the most extraordinarily yummy photos ever. It's no surprise that stellar paintings start with stellar references. Perhaps I should dedicate a sidebar one day next week to taking good reference photos.....

 
Now what to paint next? I have one, maybe two, more Art Show at the Dog Show slots to fill..... You have the weekend to shower me with suggestions!!

 
Kim
 

 
 
 
Just a couple of joyous details from the attached painting, "Snow Much Fun."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Copyright Thieves

Dear Copyright Thieves,   Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's free for the taking. So let's just stop pretending the internet is a free-for-all.   Don't play the card that you didn't know - that's insulting. And don't also tell me that you meant to follow up and get permission but never got a chance to. That's insulting too. And by the way, don't you have a copyright protection notice on your own site?   And don't even try and point the finger at a third party who commissioned you to make a copy of my painting - again, an insult - you and I both know the difference between a reference photo and a painting.   And don't tell me that I asked for it because I share my artwork on the internet. I share my paintings and ideas and the stories behind them so as to encourage others to pursue  their own passions . I do not share so that those lacking integrity and morals can copy and market the images as their own...

Grindstone

"Grindstone", 16" x 20" acrylics on museum quality panel, depicting Grindstone, just a few strides away from winning The Kentucky Derby in 1996. Read more about this painting's story below - it's a good one! And inquiries may come directly  to me .  Paying it Forward Shortly after getting The Derby Gig, which neatly dovetailed my childhood passion for horse racing with my grown up obsession with painting, I started formulating a plan to give back to the universe. As it played out, The Kentucky Derby Museum got involved, and it was decided I would donate a piece to them, something they could use as a fundraising tool to further their education efforts.  "Would I be interested in painting Grindstone, the winner of the 1996 Derby?" they asked. But of course! Little did I know the background story, though. Every year the Museum asks the owners of the Kentucky Derby winner to donate one breeding to the Museum when th...

Golden Open Acrylics

I get all sorts of process oriented questions. Most recently I've been getting asked a lot about my paints and palette, which made me realize what a nice blog topic this would make! I use a Masterson Sta-Wet Premier palette box . This is comprised of a box (think Tupperware) with a sponge liner and a slice of palette paper that work together to keep my paints wet. This setup allows me to work with the same palette for about a full week, having the box open for multiple hours every day. You can see what the palette looks like at the beginning of a new session above - below the exact same palette after this week's work. For the last 25 years I have used Golden brand acrylics, mediums, and varnish. I love the overall quality of these paints and the fact that, when I have a question, their customer service department is made up of artists who actually use the products. Until last year, I used their Heavy Body paints exclusively. They have a buttery consistency, a little loose...