Skip to main content

Mo, A Painted Sketch



"Mo," approximately 4" x 5" on an 8" x 10" sheet of multimedia artists board, a commissioned portrait, done in acrylics, private collection (THANK YOU!). Inquiries may come to me. 
 

 

 
I have a limited number of painted sketch spaces available - let me know if you are interested in commissioning one.

 
Prices for the painted sketches start at $99 for an image roughly sized 4" x 5" on an 8" x 10" paper. The price increases with the overall size, level of complexity in the portrait and density of detail.

 
Send me a couple photos and we can work out a great little painting for you - or for someone you love (Shadow's portrait is going to make a certain someone very, very happy!!)

 
Now a break for ballet class and a basketball game, then dinner and a glass of wine, before returning to the studio this evening,
Kim

 

 

The 2011 Dog a Day Valentine Giveaway painting "You Will Be Mine," a 6" x 8" panel in a private collection.

 
Get Outta the Way - Valentine's Day is Coming and I Want YOU to Be Mine......
 
 
Starting NEXT MONDAY (no early birds, please!!) send 2-3 clear, non-flash copyright free photos of your pet to me, using the subject line of "Valentine." Be creative in your photos - I will be looking for artistic merit, not just cuteness!!

 
JPG files (the photos you submit) should be at least 5" wide on the longest side and at 100dpi.

 
Entries must be received by midnight EST on Friday, February 10th, 2012.

 
One entry (2-3 photos of same pet = one entry) per household, please.

 
I will do my best to acknowledge receipt of all entries - last year there were over 90 pets submitted, so I anticipate a crowd! (View last year's finalists.)

 
All photos will be reviewed, but only those submitted using the above guidelines will be considered, so please take the time and make my job easier by following directions!
 

On Monday, February 13th, I will share the finalists' photos on the studio Facebook page, and on Tuesday (Valentine's Day) I will reveal this year's Dog a Day Valentine.

 
The winning image will be chosen by me exclusively based on design elements apparent/inspired by the photographs. 

 
The Dog a Day Valentine painting will be sized according to the composition, but at the very smallest will be a 5"x7" museum quality panel - this is a guaranteed prize of at least $289.

 
Winner will be responsible for shipping costs.

 
Please also keep in mind that by submitting your photos you are (1) guaranteeing that you own the copyright to the photos in question (meaning you took them yourself) and (2) granting me permission to use your photos/pet's likeness in a future painting. You have no obligation to purchase future paintings your photos or pet inspire, but you will have first right of refusal.
 

Now go, off with you, and take some amazing photos!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Copyright Thieves

Dear Copyright Thieves,   Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's free for the taking. So let's just stop pretending the internet is a free-for-all.   Don't play the card that you didn't know - that's insulting. And don't also tell me that you meant to follow up and get permission but never got a chance to. That's insulting too. And by the way, don't you have a copyright protection notice on your own site?   And don't even try and point the finger at a third party who commissioned you to make a copy of my painting - again, an insult - you and I both know the difference between a reference photo and a painting.   And don't tell me that I asked for it because I share my artwork on the internet. I share my paintings and ideas and the stories behind them so as to encourage others to pursue  their own passions . I do not share so that those lacking integrity and morals can copy and market the images as their own...

Grindstone

"Grindstone", 16" x 20" acrylics on museum quality panel, depicting Grindstone, just a few strides away from winning The Kentucky Derby in 1996. Read more about this painting's story below - it's a good one! And inquiries may come directly  to me .  Paying it Forward Shortly after getting The Derby Gig, which neatly dovetailed my childhood passion for horse racing with my grown up obsession with painting, I started formulating a plan to give back to the universe. As it played out, The Kentucky Derby Museum got involved, and it was decided I would donate a piece to them, something they could use as a fundraising tool to further their education efforts.  "Would I be interested in painting Grindstone, the winner of the 1996 Derby?" they asked. But of course! Little did I know the background story, though. Every year the Museum asks the owners of the Kentucky Derby winner to donate one breeding to the Museum when th...

Golden Open Acrylics

I get all sorts of process oriented questions. Most recently I've been getting asked a lot about my paints and palette, which made me realize what a nice blog topic this would make! I use a Masterson Sta-Wet Premier palette box . This is comprised of a box (think Tupperware) with a sponge liner and a slice of palette paper that work together to keep my paints wet. This setup allows me to work with the same palette for about a full week, having the box open for multiple hours every day. You can see what the palette looks like at the beginning of a new session above - below the exact same palette after this week's work. For the last 25 years I have used Golden brand acrylics, mediums, and varnish. I love the overall quality of these paints and the fact that, when I have a question, their customer service department is made up of artists who actually use the products. Until last year, I used their Heavy Body paints exclusively. They have a buttery consistency, a little loose...