Skip to main content

Stanley


 

"Stanley," 4" x 8", done in acrylics on a museum quality panel, one of two paintings starring this sweet little muse. Inquiries may come to me.
 

 

I was commissioned to paint Stanley here, and I had the best sort of problem. That being that my reference photos were TOO good (this is a rare problem, but one that I absolutely love to encounter).

 
The photos were SO VERY good that I couldn't choose just one to paint. 

 
I tried. I worked from my client's favorite one, creating the portrait above. And yet I wasn't ready to put my brushes down.

 
So I decided to start another. And shot an email off to my client that she would have a decision to make. And picked up my brushes a second time.

 
And I nearly got it finished. Took a break for ballet class. Then a basketball game. Then a band concert. Then dinner. Then a glass of wine. Then some chocolate.

 
And then reality kicked in full force.

 
Things will just have to wait until tomorrow.

 
It's a good thing Stanley's patient.

 
Although, I could make it a late nite.......
Kim
 





 
What Makes a Good Reference Photo?

 
Well, first off, the animal needs to be in focus. You would think this is obvious, and yet.....

 
And the animal needs to be larger than thumbnail size. Honest, I can't pull facial details out of a 1" wide image - I've tried!

 
Turn the flash off on your camera. Flashbulbs scare animals and wash out details like hair growth patterns, irises and actual fur coloring.

 
Experiment with different angles. Shoot from their eye level, the floor, directly above.

 
Take advantage of natural lighting. Doorwalls and windows at a 90 degree angle to the dog provide a wonderful source of illumination.

 
Take a look online at some professional pet photographers. Do a little research. 

Just depress the shutter button and move around your dog - then review what you've taken. You will be surprised!!
 
 

Comments

  1. Anonymous11:15 PM

    I have started telling people to "Santini the eyes" when they are photographing animals (or people) but fail to preserve the "life" in the eyes. If they have no idea what I mean, I tell them to look at your paintings.

    "Santini" 1. (verb), to enliven again, with light and color

    EXCELLENT work.

    - Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. La douceur de Stanley est superbement traduite dans cette peinture. La joie des couleurs... j'aime ça!
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy, you are so funny! That's quite a compliment, and I really appreciate it!!

    Martine, merci!! :) Kim

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Copyright Thieves

Dear Copyright Thieves,   Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's free for the taking. So let's just stop pretending the internet is a free-for-all.   Don't play the card that you didn't know - that's insulting. And don't also tell me that you meant to follow up and get permission but never got a chance to. That's insulting too. And by the way, don't you have a copyright protection notice on your own site?   And don't even try and point the finger at a third party who commissioned you to make a copy of my painting - again, an insult - you and I both know the difference between a reference photo and a painting.   And don't tell me that I asked for it because I share my artwork on the internet. I share my paintings and ideas and the stories behind them so as to encourage others to pursue  their own passions . I do not share so that those lacking integrity and morals can copy and market the images as their own...

Grindstone

"Grindstone", 16" x 20" acrylics on museum quality panel, depicting Grindstone, just a few strides away from winning The Kentucky Derby in 1996. Read more about this painting's story below - it's a good one! And inquiries may come directly  to me .  Paying it Forward Shortly after getting The Derby Gig, which neatly dovetailed my childhood passion for horse racing with my grown up obsession with painting, I started formulating a plan to give back to the universe. As it played out, The Kentucky Derby Museum got involved, and it was decided I would donate a piece to them, something they could use as a fundraising tool to further their education efforts.  "Would I be interested in painting Grindstone, the winner of the 1996 Derby?" they asked. But of course! Little did I know the background story, though. Every year the Museum asks the owners of the Kentucky Derby winner to donate one breeding to the Museum when th...

Golden Open Acrylics

I get all sorts of process oriented questions. Most recently I've been getting asked a lot about my paints and palette, which made me realize what a nice blog topic this would make! I use a Masterson Sta-Wet Premier palette box . This is comprised of a box (think Tupperware) with a sponge liner and a slice of palette paper that work together to keep my paints wet. This setup allows me to work with the same palette for about a full week, having the box open for multiple hours every day. You can see what the palette looks like at the beginning of a new session above - below the exact same palette after this week's work. For the last 25 years I have used Golden brand acrylics, mediums, and varnish. I love the overall quality of these paints and the fact that, when I have a question, their customer service department is made up of artists who actually use the products. Until last year, I used their Heavy Body paints exclusively. They have a buttery consistency, a little loose...