Paintings With Soul

Since October 2006 I've been a daily painter, creating a new pet portrait at least 5 times per week. Over the years I've expanded my offerings to include a variety of animals, pets, race horses, children and other treasured heirlooms. In addition, I accept a limited number of commissions each year.

In 2015 I am honored to be the Kentucky Derby Artist.

You may use the links below right to receive my daily paintings via email or to follow my blog with a feed. I post additional info, including in-process jpgs and other related information, on the studio Facebook page as well.

Meanwhile, thanks
so much for your continued support of my artwork.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007



“Keefer,” 8” square, black lab mix pet portrait in acrylic on canvasboard. Thank you to Keefer’s family for commissioning this portrait – I thoroughly enjoyed painting his happy face.

This guy has a sincere love of playing ball. So I had to paint him that way, sort of in your face, with a gentle nudge, waiting for the next toss across the yard.

I used multiple photos to piece this painting together – and I must confess, enlisted my Finnigan as a live model. Black dogs are notoriously hard to photograph without a flash, and while I had several good photos of Keefer, none were exactly what I wanted.

So Finn got a ball gently placed in his mouth multiple times, until I could get a sense of how his lips sort of draped themselves. Bless his heart – he was a little confused – and kept dropping the ball to go get his Frisbee. Finally I packed the ball with some peanut butter, made him “sit-stay” for a few minutes, and the world was good again. He happily cleaned it out while draped over my feet as I stood at the easel, and there was peace in the Santini household. (Of course, he did get an extra round of Frisbee later on, too!)

Just a little clarification, too, about yesterday’s collage, which really appealed to a large number of you. There WILL be reproductions of this image available – it’s just a matter of time. I do like to dream, and should the painting actually win this contest (not such a bad dream), the sponsors purchase the original and issue a poster. If it doesn’t make that cut, then I get to retain both the original and the copyrights to make my own prints. I’ve already talked to my Print Guy, and he’s all set to start printing giclees when I give him the go ahead. I promise to post to the group as soon as I have a verdict (which should be shortly after Halloween) – but in either case, prints will be available in time for holiday gift giving.

And a thank you goes out to Myra LeBlanc for purchasing last week’s “Louisiana SPCA #1440” dog tag still life. J

And thanks, again, as always, for making the time in your busy days for my dogs. I truly enjoy hearing how they play into your various routines.
See you tomorrow,
Kim

Kimberly Kelly Santini
http://www.turtledovedesigns.com/
distinctive pet portraits
& 4-legged paintings

http://www.paintingadogaday.com/
come. sit. stay.
enjoy the art.

Founding member of the Canine Art Guild
http://www.canineartguild.com/
the gateway to canine art on the web
Share/Save/Bookmark

Similar Dog-a-Day Paintings

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

All the Dog-a-Days Ever......