Paintings With Soul

Since October 2006 I've been a daily painter, creating a new pet portrait at least 5 times per week. Over the years I've expanded my offerings to include a variety of animals, pets, race horses, children and other treasured heirlooms. In addition, I accept a limited number of commissions each year.

In 2015 I am honored to be the Kentucky Derby Artist.

You may use the links below right to receive my daily paintings via email or to follow my blog with a feed. I post additional info, including in-process jpgs and other related information, on the studio Facebook page as well.

Meanwhile, thanks
so much for your continued support of my artwork.

Monday, April 13, 2015

Kentucky in the Spring


I got to try out my new camera in Kentucky, and got quite a few beautiful shots of the light and the horses while visiting Keeneland and Churchill Downs (pictured above, in the early morning).

Highlights From Our Roadtrip:
  • Dietsch's chocolates
  • Seeing the first peeks of green as we drove south
  • Dumplins
  • Meeting a friend over coffee and tea after morning workouts in the track kitchen at Keeneland
  • Southern hospitality
  • Watching races from an owner's box on the finish line at Keeneland
  • Limestone cliffs and cascading groundwater in the setting sun
  • Honey crusted salmon from Bluegrass Brewing Company (their porter wasn't half bad either!)
  • Churchill Downs at sunrise (see above!)
  • Reconnecting with the same smiling faces from the Derby artwork reveal in November
  • Getting teary when honored with a distinctive Kentucky Derby Museum Membership
  • Sharing the painting process of "The First Saturday in May"  (the 2015 Kentucky Derby painting) with museum guests and staff
  • Unveiling "Grindstone," my painting that will be auctioned off this coming weekend at the It's My Derby Gala, with proceeds going to the Museum's educational efforts (more on that tomorrow!)
  • Interacting with Museum guests and signing Kentucky Derby and Oaks memorabilia
  • Taking in the beauty of Louisville's architecture, businesses and population
  • DERBY PIE!!
  • Listening to The Princess perfect her southern accent
     
I think I'm ready for The Derby! But I want to savor these days in between, too.

 
I have some sketches in the wings, a couple commissions, more contour drawings, a dance themed composition, and a few other things patiently waiting!
 
Thanks, as always, for following along with my artwork,
Warmly, Kim 
Share/Save/Bookmark

Similar Dog-a-Day Paintings

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

All the Dog-a-Days Ever......