Paintings With Soul

Since October 2006 I've been a daily painter, creating a new pet portrait at least 5 times per week. Over the years I've expanded my offerings to include a variety of animals, pets, race horses, children and other treasured heirlooms. In addition, I accept a limited number of commissions each year.

In 2015 I am honored to be the Kentucky Derby Artist.

You may use the links below right to receive my daily paintings via email or to follow my blog with a feed. I post additional info, including in-process jpgs and other related information, on the studio Facebook page as well.

Meanwhile, thanks
so much for your continued support of my artwork.

Wednesday, April 08, 2015

Stanka Kordic, Day 1


In process detail from "Once Upon Another Time (Self Portrait)," 16" x 20", acrylic glazes and other magic on an Ampersand gessobord, all inspired by the wizard of scumbling and all sorts of mark making, Stanka Kordic.

My Brain is Exploding

After just one day. And I think she was holding back, too. Very graciously, I may add, just pacing herself so as to not overwhelm us. Ok, me.

My biggest ah-ha moments (and there were plenty!):

  • Burnt sienna + cobalt blue + white = flesh tone when layered overtop a raw umber wash.
  • Optically mixing color (ie layering glazes on a painting surface) achieves color you cannot mix on a palette.
  • It's a challenge to focus on the surface effects and patterned marks and NOT on the form, but that's where the magic happens, so get over it.
  • If using a grisaille beginning, accentuate the highlights, so that the layered glazes eventually settle at the correct value.


More photos are here - tomorrow is another day of braving new frontiers! 

Thanks, as always, for following along with my artwork,
Warmly, Kim 
Share/Save/Bookmark

Similar Dog-a-Day Paintings

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

All the Dog-a-Days Ever......