Paintings With Soul

Since October 2006 I've been a daily painter, creating a new pet portrait at least 5 times per week. Over the years I've expanded my offerings to include a variety of animals, pets, race horses, children and other treasured heirlooms. In addition, I accept a limited number of commissions each year.

In 2015 I am honored to be the Kentucky Derby Artist.

You may use the links below right to receive my daily paintings via email or to follow my blog with a feed. I post additional info, including in-process jpgs and other related information, on the studio Facebook page as well.

Meanwhile, thanks
so much for your continued support of my artwork.

Friday, August 14, 2015

Dont-Give-a-Care Bear


"Dont-Give-A-Care Bear," 16" x 20", mixed media on museum quality panel, a continuation of my Year of the Spark studies. At first I thought I could part with this one, but really, I can't. So, next best thing, it is uploaded on FineArtAmerica. I think Bear is a fine companion to Under a Van Gogh Sky, and together they would look fantastic in a playroom. Inquiries can always come to me, and thank you so much. 

I thought the Year of the Spark class would renew my passion for painting. I never expected it to push me into entirely new directions. And yet, here I am, creating work I'd not even imagined a few short weeks ago.
 
These "totem paintings" (so named because the central figure seems imbued with a symbolic presence) were seedlings in the winter, with contours done on clear plastic layered overtop other drawings. A dialogue started between the objects and stories formed that stretched beyond the surface.

I especially love that I can build a storyline from these paintings that is entirely different than anyone else's. Sort of like those Choose Your Own Adventure books.

I am also enjoying the freedom of scale and imagination - each object is painted from life (or memory), then knit together with pattern and color. I can delight in capturing something just as it is, or I can twist the reality and add my own special sauce.

There's more of these in my future, though - they are teaching me a lot! 

Meanwhile, I am booking a few select commissions to carry me into the fall. And finalized details today for my next two workshops - one in Baton Rouge in September, and another in Ann Arbor October. Those will be your final opportunities to paint with me until the New Year.

Thanks, as always, for following along with my artwork,
Warmly, Kim 
Share/Save/Bookmark

Similar Dog-a-Day Paintings

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

All the Dog-a-Days Ever......