Paintings With Soul

Since October 2006 I've been a daily painter, creating a new pet portrait at least 5 times per week. Over the years I've expanded my offerings to include a variety of animals, pets, race horses, children and other treasured heirlooms. In addition, I accept a limited number of commissions each year.

In 2015 I am honored to be the Kentucky Derby Artist.

You may use the links below right to receive my daily paintings via email or to follow my blog with a feed. I post additional info, including in-process jpgs and other related information, on the studio Facebook page as well.

Meanwhile, thanks
so much for your continued support of my artwork.

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Powder Express


"Powder Express," 16" x 20", acrylics on museum quality panel. Yes, this is another painting starring Nita, who we've already established as one of my favorite muses. I took a lot of in process photos, and they are here, for those interested. Lots of thanks to Team Husar Wildlife Photography for permission to paint from their photos. And I do believe that when this piece sells (hint hint!), Ms Nita has earned herself a shipment of dog toys - I'll put Finnigan right on that!

This painting, including s&h inside the US, is $1499. Please send inquiries to me. (Psst - now is the perfect time to start planning for holiday portraits - don't wait, because my calendar fills up FAST!)

Letting Go

There was a point in this painting where I could have chosen to paint every single clump and flake of snow, and every single ripple of feathers. And I did spend some time considering how to get a perfectly smooth, perfectly blue sky.

And then I was smooshing paint around on the bottom of the piece, trying to get soft transitions between the dog's body and the cloud of flakes, and I caught my breath. There was marbeling and texture and loveliness happening. And I asked myself, "Self, what if, instead of going after a literal interpretation of the snow, you chose to reach for something else?"

And Self responded, "Does that mean I can fingerpaint?"

"I don't see why not."

And thus, "Powder Express" came to be.

Thanks, as always, for following along with my artwork,
Warmly, Kim 
Share/Save/Bookmark

Similar Dog-a-Day Paintings

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

All the Dog-a-Days Ever......