I painted Mona's birthday portrait a couple weeks ago (remember? it was a lesson painting in early July), and was pleased with it at the time. But as the days went by, I saw things I thought would make the painting better. So out came the edges of the window frame's shadow and in went lavender and cobalt glazes on her body (the image above is the reworked painting). What do you think? Is it now a smidge better? If paintings hang around in my studio for long enough, I nearly always find something I want to change. It's a horrible habit. Thanks, as always, for looking at and sharing my paintings with your friends and family, Kim ![]()
|
“Katie’s Moustache,” 6x12, pet portrait in acrylic on canvasboard, $90. Inquiries to ksantini@turtledovedesigns.com . One glimpse of Katie’s face, and I was hooked. Not only did she fall into my beloved “black & white” category, but she came with a full moustache and doe-like eyes. I first covered the canvas with a variety of blues and purples, using a (mixed) light green and pink for the highlights. (Right now my palette has been expanded to include the following: pthalo blue red, azurite hue, cad red dark, alizarine crimson, cad yellow dark, and then for graying/hazing out I use light green yellow and ultramarine purple.) I lighten with titanium white and darken with one of the blues and a touch of one of the reds. As a side note, at this time last year I was really struggling with my limited palette (I went from about 60 pots of paint to 3), but I have lived the benefits – I am so much more familiar with what I can mix given just this handful of colors. My paintings are also m...


Hi Kimberly- So happy to have found you- yes, I agree, it's a tad bit more dynamic! Nadi (http://www.NadiSpencer.com).
ReplyDeleteThanks, Nadi! :)
ReplyDeleteJe crois que l'oeil de l'artiste a eu raison... Parfois il faut un certain temps pour voir ce qu'il fallait voir... et cette correction est très légitime...
ReplyDeletegros bisous
Time allows the eye to see things differently, that's for sure! Thanks, Martine!
ReplyDelete