Paintings With Soul

Since October 2006 I've been a daily painter, creating a new pet portrait at least 5 times per week. Over the years I've expanded my offerings to include a variety of animals, pets, race horses, children and other treasured heirlooms. In addition, I accept a limited number of commissions each year.

In 2015 I am honored to be the Kentucky Derby Artist.

You may use the links below right to receive my daily paintings via email or to follow my blog with a feed. I post additional info, including in-process jpgs and other related information, on the studio Facebook page as well.

Meanwhile, thanks
so much for your continued support of my artwork.

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Chestnut, Finished


"Chestnut" 24" x 12", acrylics on a museum quality panel, depicting a chestnut mare with a little bit of flash. And some glare on the far right - my apologies - with the glossy ground, this is a very difficult piece to photograph, and I'll have to get her done professionally! This painting can be yours for $1499, which includes s&h inside the US. There's a mess of in process photos here, including detail shots. Inquiries may come directly to me

This piece is my new all time favorite. Here's why.

The color is a bit flatter in this photograph than it is in person. This painting is vibrant and delicious! That dark ground? It's really a sea of blue to green. And those pinks in her shoulder? I teared up a little over them. Yeah, I'm a color geek.

The movement is true. I can feel her stepping forward, I can see the sun glistening off her muscles, and I can hear her feet hit the ground.

The brushwork looks tight in this email, but trust me, it is the same loose and lively sorts of marks you are used to seeing in my pieces. And it accents her form without overwhelming it (I got scared when working on her mane, thinking I was pushing things too tightly, but I was mistaken).

And my final test as to whether a piece is a fav? If it looks just as I remembered it when I return to the studio in the morning. Chestnut looked even better.

Now to figure out how to top her!

Thanks, as always, for following along with my artwork!
Warmly, Kim 
Share/Save/Bookmark

Similar Dog-a-Day Paintings

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

All the Dog-a-Days Ever......