Skip to main content

The Third Book


I've been busy working on my new book. The working title is "Come Sit Stay, Good Dog.... Art," which was my slogan when the Painting a Dog a Day's first began.

Did you purchase or commission a painting in 2009? If so, chances are your Dog a Day painting will be included in "Come Sit Stay." This book is designed to be the follow up to "That's 14 in Dog Years" and "The First Year," as "Come Sit Stay" represents the third year of Painting a Dog a Day.

The hardest part of putting these books together (other than catching all my typos!!) is keeping the page count reasonable. My goal is approximately 120 pages. If there are many more, the cost goes up dramatically. However, it is nearly impossible for me to choose which paintings to include and weigh them against an appropriate quantity of text.

And I do hear you - some would prefer that I just reproduce the artwork, but there's another faction that would argue the essay provides added value and a perspective that the blog simply does not have.

Right now I've narrowed it down to around 220 paintings/images from 2009. This does not include additional content like "How Tos" or before and after shots of the studio remodel or anything about the creative journalling workshops and other sorts of tangental topics.

Clearly I have my work cut out for me!

The book will be ready for holiday gift-giving - however this year, in order to drastically reduce my personal workload, Blurb (the company that prints the books) will be processing all direct orders.

To accommodate those of you who might prefer a personalized copy of the book, I'll auction off a some copies complete with personalizations and sketches on the title page - with proceeds above and beyond my costs going to my local shelter. I am hoping to be able to schedule these in time for holiday gift giving. Stay tuned for more details.

Thanks for looking at, and sharing, my artwork with your friends and family -
Kim

PSST - I'm still accepting holiday commissions. Email meto get on my calendar!

DON'T FORGET: Artist Q&A Day This Friday

Painting a Dog a Day Books - The First Year and That's 14 in Dog Years


The first two years of the Painting a Dog a Day project have been published in book format.

"The First Year" talks about how the project came to be and the evolution of the blog and my vision.

"That's 14 in Dog Years"highlights some of the details of the project's growth as it matured during the second year.

I have a few remaining copies of "That's 14 in Dog Years" that I can personalize and send your way. Email meif you are interested.

Additional copies of each title are available directly through the publisher. They also maintain a link that allows viewers to preview the books prior to purchasing (click on the titles above to view and order).

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Copyright Thieves

Dear Copyright Thieves,   Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's free for the taking. So let's just stop pretending the internet is a free-for-all.   Don't play the card that you didn't know - that's insulting. And don't also tell me that you meant to follow up and get permission but never got a chance to. That's insulting too. And by the way, don't you have a copyright protection notice on your own site?   And don't even try and point the finger at a third party who commissioned you to make a copy of my painting - again, an insult - you and I both know the difference between a reference photo and a painting.   And don't tell me that I asked for it because I share my artwork on the internet. I share my paintings and ideas and the stories behind them so as to encourage others to pursue  their own passions . I do not share so that those lacking integrity and morals can copy and market the images as their own...

Grindstone

"Grindstone", 16" x 20" acrylics on museum quality panel, depicting Grindstone, just a few strides away from winning The Kentucky Derby in 1996. Read more about this painting's story below - it's a good one! And inquiries may come directly  to me .  Paying it Forward Shortly after getting The Derby Gig, which neatly dovetailed my childhood passion for horse racing with my grown up obsession with painting, I started formulating a plan to give back to the universe. As it played out, The Kentucky Derby Museum got involved, and it was decided I would donate a piece to them, something they could use as a fundraising tool to further their education efforts.  "Would I be interested in painting Grindstone, the winner of the 1996 Derby?" they asked. But of course! Little did I know the background story, though. Every year the Museum asks the owners of the Kentucky Derby winner to donate one breeding to the Museum when th...

Golden Open Acrylics

I get all sorts of process oriented questions. Most recently I've been getting asked a lot about my paints and palette, which made me realize what a nice blog topic this would make! I use a Masterson Sta-Wet Premier palette box . This is comprised of a box (think Tupperware) with a sponge liner and a slice of palette paper that work together to keep my paints wet. This setup allows me to work with the same palette for about a full week, having the box open for multiple hours every day. You can see what the palette looks like at the beginning of a new session above - below the exact same palette after this week's work. For the last 25 years I have used Golden brand acrylics, mediums, and varnish. I love the overall quality of these paints and the fact that, when I have a question, their customer service department is made up of artists who actually use the products. Until last year, I used their Heavy Body paints exclusively. They have a buttery consistency, a little loose...