Skip to main content

Ears


 

"Ears," from the "Cherished" series of paintings, 6" square, acrylic on museum quality panel, private collection (THANK YOU!).

 
Inquiries may always come to me, and there's more information on the "Cherished" paintings in the sidebar to the left. THANKS!!

 
 
 
 

 
Derby Week was a bit of a distraction, and then Whistler's painting had a looming deadline, but I've returned to the dogs now for a little bit. I may have to sneak another cat in later this week for another project, but it'll mostly be dogs for a bit. Mostly.

 
This is Eldunari, who's name translates as "Dragon's Heart of Hearts" (anyone read Eragon?!). She is the most loveable girl ever, everyone loves her and becomes an instant friend. She is now considerably larger than depicted here - Great Danes grow fast and huge in the blink of an eye, much like dragons.

 
It was my delight to have this little charmer on my easel for a day!

 
Thanks, as always, for following along with my artwork,
Kim
 



Still Looking For Muses

 
"Cherished," a new series of paintings depicting emotion as expressed by our animal companions, will be exhibited this fall. 

 
And I need muses!! 

 
You are invited to submit non-flash photos for consideration.

 
Please note that photos should not include people - I prefer to leave the human form out altogether, as just the animal(s) allows the viewer to bring their own personal interpretations.
  • Photos must be taken by the submitter - no exceptions. 
  • Photos should be in focus, and the animal must make up at least 1/4 of the photograph. 
  • Please note that by virtue of submitting photographs, submitters are granting me permission to create original artwork from the materials they submit. 
  • Submitters are not required to make any purchase of artwork or reproductions, but will be offered first rights to anything created.
  • Photos should be sent via email to with the subject line "Cherish"

Photos I plan on painting will be uploaded to the "Cherish" photo album inside the studio's Facebook page. I will also add links to the completed paintings as the series of work progresses.

 
(HINT: You can peek at what's already online in the "Cherish" photo album and get a sense of the sort of imagery I am looking for)

 
I am really excited about this opportunity and look forward to sharing the latest leg of the Painting a Dog a Day journey with you!!

 
THANK YOU!!!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Copyright Thieves

Dear Copyright Thieves,   Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's free for the taking. So let's just stop pretending the internet is a free-for-all.   Don't play the card that you didn't know - that's insulting. And don't also tell me that you meant to follow up and get permission but never got a chance to. That's insulting too. And by the way, don't you have a copyright protection notice on your own site?   And don't even try and point the finger at a third party who commissioned you to make a copy of my painting - again, an insult - you and I both know the difference between a reference photo and a painting.   And don't tell me that I asked for it because I share my artwork on the internet. I share my paintings and ideas and the stories behind them so as to encourage others to pursue  their own passions . I do not share so that those lacking integrity and morals can copy and market the images as their own...

Grindstone

"Grindstone", 16" x 20" acrylics on museum quality panel, depicting Grindstone, just a few strides away from winning The Kentucky Derby in 1996. Read more about this painting's story below - it's a good one! And inquiries may come directly  to me .  Paying it Forward Shortly after getting The Derby Gig, which neatly dovetailed my childhood passion for horse racing with my grown up obsession with painting, I started formulating a plan to give back to the universe. As it played out, The Kentucky Derby Museum got involved, and it was decided I would donate a piece to them, something they could use as a fundraising tool to further their education efforts.  "Would I be interested in painting Grindstone, the winner of the 1996 Derby?" they asked. But of course! Little did I know the background story, though. Every year the Museum asks the owners of the Kentucky Derby winner to donate one breeding to the Museum when th...

Golden Open Acrylics

I get all sorts of process oriented questions. Most recently I've been getting asked a lot about my paints and palette, which made me realize what a nice blog topic this would make! I use a Masterson Sta-Wet Premier palette box . This is comprised of a box (think Tupperware) with a sponge liner and a slice of palette paper that work together to keep my paints wet. This setup allows me to work with the same palette for about a full week, having the box open for multiple hours every day. You can see what the palette looks like at the beginning of a new session above - below the exact same palette after this week's work. For the last 25 years I have used Golden brand acrylics, mediums, and varnish. I love the overall quality of these paints and the fact that, when I have a question, their customer service department is made up of artists who actually use the products. Until last year, I used their Heavy Body paints exclusively. They have a buttery consistency, a little loose...