Paintings With Soul

Since October 2006 I've been a daily painter, creating a new pet portrait at least 5 times per week. Over the years I've expanded my offerings to include a variety of animals, pets, race horses, children and other treasured heirlooms. In addition, I accept a limited number of commissions each year.

In 2015 I am honored to be the Kentucky Derby Artist.

You may use the links below right to receive my daily paintings via email or to follow my blog with a feed. I post additional info, including in-process jpgs and other related information, on the studio Facebook page as well.

Meanwhile, thanks
so much for your continued support of my artwork.

Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Blue Heeler

 
 

"Blue Heeler," 12" x 16", done in acrylics on a museum quailty panel, portrait of Finnigan, the eldest four legged Santini.

 
This painting is not for sale - I've got big plans (including time on my own family room wall) - however, if you want something similar starring your own pet, send me a non-flash close-up in-focus photo and we'll get things started.

 
Photos and inquiries should come here.**
 
 
 
 
**Paintings in this patterned style are offered 8"x10" and larger, starting at $469 for one face on a simple ground, with a non-refundable $100 retainer. And yes, I am more than happy to set up payment plans! Let's discuss your portrait.



I visited the Detroit Institute of Arts this last weekend and realized that my favorite paintings were simple and direct.

 
I tried that approach in this one, an homage to Odilon Redon's portraiture.

 
Essentially three, simple values and tonal, complimentary colors. Lots of lost and found edges, but the important ones carry all the contrast and saturation. The patterning infuses meaning beyond the likeness, representing all the things that Finnigan loves - herding leaves/rain/snow, playing frisbee and being outside.
 

Thanks for following along with my work!
Kim, who is eagerly looking forward to applying this approach to another face

 
Share/Save/Bookmark

Similar Dog-a-Day Paintings

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

All the Dog-a-Days Ever......