Skip to main content

Reilly

 
 
 

"Reilly," 11" x 14", commissioned portrait of a chocolate lab, done in acrylic on a museum quality panel, in a private collection (THANK YOU!).

 
In process views of Reilly's portrait as it unfolded were shared on the studio Facebook page yesterday. You can find them inside the Mobile Uploads folder. And by the way, you do not need to have a Facebook account to view either of those links.

 
I'd love to talk about creating something just as spectacular as Reilly's portrait for you - email me and we'll begin that conversation!!
 
 


It's scarey, allowing my clients and the general public to watch my work unfold (because during my work day I post in-process pics of paintings to the studio Facebook page).

 
I'm opening myself up to criticism - what if I am having a bad day in the studio? what if the client totally hates the early stages of their painting? what if I can't deliver what my followers/fans are hoping for?

 
I try not to think of that - I try just to slip into my zone, feel the day's soundtrack, and let the painting itself tell me where it's going.

 
But yesterday's painting, well, it encapsulated why I share despite those insecurities. My client's enthusiasm from the very first and very ambiguous underpainting stage was contagious.

 
It reminded me of why I find the process of putting paint down simply magical.


Kim, who hopes you find some magic in your day today

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Copyright Thieves

Dear Copyright Thieves,   Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's free for the taking. So let's just stop pretending the internet is a free-for-all.   Don't play the card that you didn't know - that's insulting. And don't also tell me that you meant to follow up and get permission but never got a chance to. That's insulting too. And by the way, don't you have a copyright protection notice on your own site?   And don't even try and point the finger at a third party who commissioned you to make a copy of my painting - again, an insult - you and I both know the difference between a reference photo and a painting.   And don't tell me that I asked for it because I share my artwork on the internet. I share my paintings and ideas and the stories behind them so as to encourage others to pursue  their own passions . I do not share so that those lacking integrity and morals can copy and market the images as their own...

Grindstone

"Grindstone", 16" x 20" acrylics on museum quality panel, depicting Grindstone, just a few strides away from winning The Kentucky Derby in 1996. Read more about this painting's story below - it's a good one! And inquiries may come directly  to me .  Paying it Forward Shortly after getting The Derby Gig, which neatly dovetailed my childhood passion for horse racing with my grown up obsession with painting, I started formulating a plan to give back to the universe. As it played out, The Kentucky Derby Museum got involved, and it was decided I would donate a piece to them, something they could use as a fundraising tool to further their education efforts.  "Would I be interested in painting Grindstone, the winner of the 1996 Derby?" they asked. But of course! Little did I know the background story, though. Every year the Museum asks the owners of the Kentucky Derby winner to donate one breeding to the Museum when th...

Golden Open Acrylics

I get all sorts of process oriented questions. Most recently I've been getting asked a lot about my paints and palette, which made me realize what a nice blog topic this would make! I use a Masterson Sta-Wet Premier palette box . This is comprised of a box (think Tupperware) with a sponge liner and a slice of palette paper that work together to keep my paints wet. This setup allows me to work with the same palette for about a full week, having the box open for multiple hours every day. You can see what the palette looks like at the beginning of a new session above - below the exact same palette after this week's work. For the last 25 years I have used Golden brand acrylics, mediums, and varnish. I love the overall quality of these paints and the fact that, when I have a question, their customer service department is made up of artists who actually use the products. Until last year, I used their Heavy Body paints exclusively. They have a buttery consistency, a little loose...