Skip to main content

Saratoga, August


"Saratoga, August," 9" x 12", acrylics on museum quality panel, depicting three campaigners getting hosed down on their return to the barns after racing. How I LOVE to stand along the rail and watch the rainbows from the mist as the horses walk by, glistening wet and reflecting all sorts of color themselves. This piece is $549 (which includes s&h inside the US). In process images are here and inquiries may come to me. 

Horse Racing is On My Mind.....

Next week I head east for my annual trek to the magical town of Saratoga Springs, New York. This year three other artists will be journeying in the same direction (from Tennessee, Connecticut, and New York). We all will convene around the kitchen table Thursday evening with ice cream spoons and wine glasses. Friday morning it'll be to the track for early morning workouts, then into town for coffee and pastries at Mrs Londons, then perhaps a trip out to Old Friends (a Thoroughbred retirement facility) before returning to the track for the afternoon's racing card.

Meanwhile, I am creating some new pieces to take to Spa Fine Art, my gallery there in town. I'll be doing a live paint there Saturday, August 1st, and will leave that piece (or pieces, as the case may be - last year I got two completed) with them. But I also try to bring along other inventory and save myself the cost and worry of shipping. Plus gallery guests have new, pretty things to look at while I'm there.

So "Saratoga, August" will be in Saratoga in August, unless, that is, someone wants it first - if so, let me know!! I could maybe even get the piece on it's way prior to my trip......

Thanks, as always, for following along with my artwork,
Warmly, Kim 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Copyright Thieves

Dear Copyright Thieves,   Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's free for the taking. So let's just stop pretending the internet is a free-for-all.   Don't play the card that you didn't know - that's insulting. And don't also tell me that you meant to follow up and get permission but never got a chance to. That's insulting too. And by the way, don't you have a copyright protection notice on your own site?   And don't even try and point the finger at a third party who commissioned you to make a copy of my painting - again, an insult - you and I both know the difference between a reference photo and a painting.   And don't tell me that I asked for it because I share my artwork on the internet. I share my paintings and ideas and the stories behind them so as to encourage others to pursue  their own passions . I do not share so that those lacking integrity and morals can copy and market the images as their own...

Grindstone

"Grindstone", 16" x 20" acrylics on museum quality panel, depicting Grindstone, just a few strides away from winning The Kentucky Derby in 1996. Read more about this painting's story below - it's a good one! And inquiries may come directly  to me .  Paying it Forward Shortly after getting The Derby Gig, which neatly dovetailed my childhood passion for horse racing with my grown up obsession with painting, I started formulating a plan to give back to the universe. As it played out, The Kentucky Derby Museum got involved, and it was decided I would donate a piece to them, something they could use as a fundraising tool to further their education efforts.  "Would I be interested in painting Grindstone, the winner of the 1996 Derby?" they asked. But of course! Little did I know the background story, though. Every year the Museum asks the owners of the Kentucky Derby winner to donate one breeding to the Museum when th...

Golden Open Acrylics

I get all sorts of process oriented questions. Most recently I've been getting asked a lot about my paints and palette, which made me realize what a nice blog topic this would make! I use a Masterson Sta-Wet Premier palette box . This is comprised of a box (think Tupperware) with a sponge liner and a slice of palette paper that work together to keep my paints wet. This setup allows me to work with the same palette for about a full week, having the box open for multiple hours every day. You can see what the palette looks like at the beginning of a new session above - below the exact same palette after this week's work. For the last 25 years I have used Golden brand acrylics, mediums, and varnish. I love the overall quality of these paints and the fact that, when I have a question, their customer service department is made up of artists who actually use the products. Until last year, I used their Heavy Body paints exclusively. They have a buttery consistency, a little loose...