Paintings With Soul

Since October 2006 I've been a daily painter, creating a new pet portrait at least 5 times per week. At first the paintings were mostly dogs, but over the years I've expanded my offerings to include a variety of animals, pets, children and other treasured heirlooms.

And yes, I accept commissions!

You are invited to sign up using the links at the left to receive the dailies via email or follow my blog with a feed. I post additional info, including in-process jpgs and other related information, on the studio Facebook page as well.

Thanks
so much for your continued support of my artwork.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Phoebe

 
 

"Phoebe," 9" x 12," a posthumous portrait done in acrylics on a museum quality panel, depicting a beloved companion. Phoebe's painting has a home, thank you, butlet me know if you would like something similar starring your own best friend.

 
You can view in process pics of Phoebe's portrait on the studio's Facebook page - I started her yesterday afternoon (November 26th, 2012)

 
While it's no secret that I love saturated color, I also love the challenge of working tonally in softer hues. Phoebe's portrait gave me a perfect excuse to hone my modeling skills using subtle tonal and temperature shifts.

 
And lots of room for abstracted brushwork, too.

 
Now I'm off to drive The Princess to ballet class,
Kim, who is remembering the dozens of white-on-white still lifes she painted to learn subtle value shifts and the Color of White 

 
References


Photo references are merely a starting point. They do not provide all the information needed to create a lifelike portrait - that is up to the artist! Besides, if we already have this fabulous photo, why try and recreate it meticulously?

 
When I paint, I use the photos to gather my likeness, then put them away, and complete the painting using my own resources - visual memory (relying on actual real-life scenarios of similar subjects) and creative license (enhancing color and modifying non-likeness specific details to improve upon the composition).

 
Like that smidge of pink at the bottom edge? Totally intentional. It creates a dramatic triangle stretching across the painting (the ears to the bottom center) that roughly corresponds with the cat's body shape (face and stretched out legs) and perfectly frames her face, underlining the focal point.


 
Share/Save/Bookmark

Similar Dog-a-Day Paintings

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

All the Dog-a-Days Ever......