Skip to main content


FROM TOP: "Winter Sunlight #1," 6" x 8", black cat portrait in acrylic on canvasboard, $199. SOLD. "Winter Sunlight #2," 5" x 7", black cat portrait in acrylic on canvasboard, collection of the artist. Inquiries to ksantini@turtledovedesigns.com .

These are a couple of studies I've been making of Miah while I think through the composition of a larger than life piece. It's been serendipitous, painting her this time around, because it very well may be the last time I get to work from life. And I want to do at least one more large scale portrait of her before she leaves me.

Nearing 19, Miah is far from the little sprite who used to ride on my shoulders. Deaf, toothless, with persistant drool and sneezes, Miah's daily adventures involve migration from the heat duct to a patch of sunlight a few feet away. She still follows her nighttime routine of moving from my oldest son's pillow to mine, trots over when she sees someone beckoning, and occasionally will bat at a toy with mild interest. I am hopeful that as the sun strengthens she finds more energy, but in the meanwhile I am happy to supply a warm lap and soak up the resonance of her purr.

I am offering these paintings today as a benefit for Animal Friends of the Valley Shelter in Lake Elsinore, California. Two Friday's ago this shelter suffered the unfathomable loss of one of their buildings to fire. 39 dogs and cats perished. You may read about the fire online at http://www.pe.com/localnews/lakeelsinore/stories/PE_News_Local_D_animals29.20f5842.html .

They still have approximately 150 animals in their care, and are working towards the rebuilding of a temporary space along with the longterm goal of constructing a permanent home (which had been in process prior to the fire).

20% of these paintings' sales will go to the relief fund. I challenge my readers to contribute as well. The shelter can be reached at 951-674-0618. Contributions may be sent to the Animal Friends of the Valley Shelter Relief Fund, Guaranty Bank, 31740 Railroad Canyon Road, Canyon Lake, California, 92587.

And stay tuned - over the next couple weeks I'll squeak in a painting here and there to help them even further.

Thanks to fellow artist and mentor Elin Pendleton (http://www.elinart.com/) for sharing the shelter's story with me. (Elin is largely at fault for encouraging me to rise to the challenge of daily painting.) She knows the shelter well, and says they provide a much needed service to the area. Her own studio muse, "Pesto," a bright faced tabby gracing many of Elin's paintings, came from there.

Thanks, as always, for reading and sharing these paintings with your friends and family.
See you tomorrow,
Kim



Kimberly Kelly Santini
http://www.turtledovedesigns.com/
distinctive pet portraits
& 4-legged paintings

http://www.paintingadogaday.com/
come. sit. stay.
enjoy the art.

Founding member of the Canine Art Guild
http://www.canineartguild.com/
the gateway to canine art on the web

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Katie’s Moustache,” 6x12, pet portrait in acrylic on canvasboard, $90. Inquiries to ksantini@turtledovedesigns.com . One glimpse of Katie’s face, and I was hooked. Not only did she fall into my beloved “black & white” category, but she came with a full moustache and doe-like eyes. I first covered the canvas with a variety of blues and purples, using a (mixed) light green and pink for the highlights. (Right now my palette has been expanded to include the following: pthalo blue red, azurite hue, cad red dark, alizarine crimson, cad yellow dark, and then for graying/hazing out I use light green yellow and ultramarine purple.) I lighten with titanium white and darken with one of the blues and a touch of one of the reds. As a side note, at this time last year I was really struggling with my limited palette (I went from about 60 pots of paint to 3), but I have lived the benefits – I am so much more familiar with what I can mix given just this handful of colors. My paintings are also m...

Dear Copyright Thieves

Dear Copyright Thieves,   Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's free for the taking. So let's just stop pretending the internet is a free-for-all.   Don't play the card that you didn't know - that's insulting. And don't also tell me that you meant to follow up and get permission but never got a chance to. That's insulting too. And by the way, don't you have a copyright protection notice on your own site?   And don't even try and point the finger at a third party who commissioned you to make a copy of my painting - again, an insult - you and I both know the difference between a reference photo and a painting.   And don't tell me that I asked for it because I share my artwork on the internet. I share my paintings and ideas and the stories behind them so as to encourage others to pursue  their own passions . I do not share so that those lacking integrity and morals can copy and market the images as their own...

Golden Open Acrylics

I get all sorts of process oriented questions. Most recently I've been getting asked a lot about my paints and palette, which made me realize what a nice blog topic this would make! I use a Masterson Sta-Wet Premier palette box . This is comprised of a box (think Tupperware) with a sponge liner and a slice of palette paper that work together to keep my paints wet. This setup allows me to work with the same palette for about a full week, having the box open for multiple hours every day. You can see what the palette looks like at the beginning of a new session above - below the exact same palette after this week's work. For the last 25 years I have used Golden brand acrylics, mediums, and varnish. I love the overall quality of these paints and the fact that, when I have a question, their customer service department is made up of artists who actually use the products. Until last year, I used their Heavy Body paints exclusively. They have a buttery consistency, a little loose...