Skip to main content

ARTISTS NOTE: Giclees are available of this painting. Inquiries to ksantini@turtledovedesigns.com

"Day One," 11" x 14", Paws With a Cause golden retriever mother and pup portrait, acrylic on canvasboard, painting in process but available for purchase, $399. $80 from the sale of this painting will be donated to Paws With a Cause in the buyer's name. Inquiries to ksantini@turtledovedesigns.com .

SOLD.

Today I am guilty of being terribly overambitious. Who can blame me, though, when handed the reference photo that inspired this painting? This is Hula and her litter of one, Peyton, on their first day, napping in a little shaft of sunlight.

And the pose demanded a larger painting. To date I hadn't completed an 11" x 14" as a dog a day piece. Then add in the two dog factor. Also, the reference photo was black and white. That meant I was flying by the seat of my pants when trying to visualize the nuances of wispy feathering, brand new fur, and a soft fuzzy blanket.

But working on this piece was a joy. The tenderness between the two dogs and the textural contrasts came together just like I had envisioned. A year ago I don't think I would have had the confidance or skills to tackle this one, or bring it this far in one day.

There are still some values to shift - I want the pup to glow inside a shaft of sunlight, and Hula's beautiful feathers will be added at the very end. I will live with this painting for another week or so, making careful adjustments/additions. The painting demands tighter detail that what it carries now, because your eye wants to linger as it circles around the composiiton. I need to make the viewing worthwhile, and place color and details that encourage this.

Thanks, as always, for looking.
And for sharing these paintings with your friends and family.
Have a very safe weekend,
Kim

PS Just a reminder that I will be personalizing AKC/Eukanaba posters at Margot's Gallery in Oxford, MI tomorrow from 1-4pm. Please call Margot directly if you have questions or need directions: 248-628-5398.

Kimberly Kelly Santini
http://www.turtledovedesigns.com/
distinctive pet portraits
& 4-legged paintings

http://www.paintingadogaday.com/
come. sit. stay.
enjoy the art.

Founding member of the Canine Art Guild
http://www.canineartguild.com/
the gateway to canine art on the web

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Copyright Thieves

Dear Copyright Thieves,   Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's free for the taking. So let's just stop pretending the internet is a free-for-all.   Don't play the card that you didn't know - that's insulting. And don't also tell me that you meant to follow up and get permission but never got a chance to. That's insulting too. And by the way, don't you have a copyright protection notice on your own site?   And don't even try and point the finger at a third party who commissioned you to make a copy of my painting - again, an insult - you and I both know the difference between a reference photo and a painting.   And don't tell me that I asked for it because I share my artwork on the internet. I share my paintings and ideas and the stories behind them so as to encourage others to pursue  their own passions . I do not share so that those lacking integrity and morals can copy and market the images as their own...

Grindstone

"Grindstone", 16" x 20" acrylics on museum quality panel, depicting Grindstone, just a few strides away from winning The Kentucky Derby in 1996. Read more about this painting's story below - it's a good one! And inquiries may come directly  to me .  Paying it Forward Shortly after getting The Derby Gig, which neatly dovetailed my childhood passion for horse racing with my grown up obsession with painting, I started formulating a plan to give back to the universe. As it played out, The Kentucky Derby Museum got involved, and it was decided I would donate a piece to them, something they could use as a fundraising tool to further their education efforts.  "Would I be interested in painting Grindstone, the winner of the 1996 Derby?" they asked. But of course! Little did I know the background story, though. Every year the Museum asks the owners of the Kentucky Derby winner to donate one breeding to the Museum when th...

Golden Open Acrylics

I get all sorts of process oriented questions. Most recently I've been getting asked a lot about my paints and palette, which made me realize what a nice blog topic this would make! I use a Masterson Sta-Wet Premier palette box . This is comprised of a box (think Tupperware) with a sponge liner and a slice of palette paper that work together to keep my paints wet. This setup allows me to work with the same palette for about a full week, having the box open for multiple hours every day. You can see what the palette looks like at the beginning of a new session above - below the exact same palette after this week's work. For the last 25 years I have used Golden brand acrylics, mediums, and varnish. I love the overall quality of these paints and the fact that, when I have a question, their customer service department is made up of artists who actually use the products. Until last year, I used their Heavy Body paints exclusively. They have a buttery consistency, a little loose...