"Helper," 30" x 13", portrait of a Golden Retriever, done in acrylics on 1/2" birch hardwood, $899. I see some drawing corrections and a couple other tweaks to this one before I'm 110% happy with it. But he still needs a home for when I'm finished - email me for purchase details.
This is quite the diversion, painting directly on wood, but it's something I've been thinking about doing for a long time. I still have some kinks to work out - like being patient enough to sand the clear gesso down prior to painting - but I'll get there.
I'm very fond of the combination of wood grain and painterly brushwork. And the depth inside the snowy ground is wonderful fun to lose oneself in.
Loads of in process pics on Facebook.
Now who wants to add Helper to their collection?
I'm off to fire up the grill!!
Thanks so much,
Kim
|
“Katie’s Moustache,” 6x12, pet portrait in acrylic on canvasboard, $90. Inquiries to ksantini@turtledovedesigns.com . One glimpse of Katie’s face, and I was hooked. Not only did she fall into my beloved “black & white” category, but she came with a full moustache and doe-like eyes. I first covered the canvas with a variety of blues and purples, using a (mixed) light green and pink for the highlights. (Right now my palette has been expanded to include the following: pthalo blue red, azurite hue, cad red dark, alizarine crimson, cad yellow dark, and then for graying/hazing out I use light green yellow and ultramarine purple.) I lighten with titanium white and darken with one of the blues and a touch of one of the reds. As a side note, at this time last year I was really struggling with my limited palette (I went from about 60 pots of paint to 3), but I have lived the benefits – I am so much more familiar with what I can mix given just this handful of colors. My paintings are also m...
Bonjour,
ReplyDeleteJe suis très heureuse de vous retrouver après mon absence durant ce moi de mai...
Je suis heureuse aussi d'admirer cette dernière peinture. Un très joli rendu sur le bois. Je pensais que ce genre de support était difficile à travailler. Je vois que vous réussissez parfaitement bien.
Gros bisous à vous
Martine, oh no, this piece was VERY difficult to do - don't be fooled!! But the difficulties were worth it - and I am learning more so that next time I choose this substrate, I can manage the surface better so as to best support the level of detail I want!! Welcome home! :) Kim
Delete