Skip to main content

Can you believe that after all the abuse I doled out, my students were kind enough to take me cowboy boot shopping? How lucky I am. 
 
 
Dear Students,
 
It never fails, the night before a workshop, I am plagued with doubt and question whether I can share a single morsel of useful info. I dread having to push all of you out of your comfort zones. I'm terrified someone will curl up in a corner in the fetal position much like I did at one of my first intensive classes. I'm even more frightened of being asked a question I can't answer. Or a student walking out and never coming back.
 
So thank you for stroking my ego. You said I taught some rather key ideas, there was a little balking but no tears (at least not in the classroom), and I think I did a pretty good job fielding questions. And I didn't lose a single person (at least not physically).
 
And for all you said you were going home to practice and continue studying, let me tell you that I am taking home ten times that. Your responses will guide in refining workshop content, seemingly random suggestions will steer future paintings, and new friendships will fuel a shared passion for making art.
 
Springfield MO, thanks for sharing your drawls, your laughter, your sunsets  - and your boots. Can't forget those boots!!
 
Love you ladies!!
Kim
 
PS  Pictures of our workshop are over on Facebook. Come have a peek. And let me know if you want to host something similar in your neck of the woods, because I'm booking 2014 now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Copyright Thieves

Dear Copyright Thieves,   Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's free for the taking. So let's just stop pretending the internet is a free-for-all.   Don't play the card that you didn't know - that's insulting. And don't also tell me that you meant to follow up and get permission but never got a chance to. That's insulting too. And by the way, don't you have a copyright protection notice on your own site?   And don't even try and point the finger at a third party who commissioned you to make a copy of my painting - again, an insult - you and I both know the difference between a reference photo and a painting.   And don't tell me that I asked for it because I share my artwork on the internet. I share my paintings and ideas and the stories behind them so as to encourage others to pursue  their own passions . I do not share so that those lacking integrity and morals can copy and market the images as their own...

Grindstone

"Grindstone", 16" x 20" acrylics on museum quality panel, depicting Grindstone, just a few strides away from winning The Kentucky Derby in 1996. Read more about this painting's story below - it's a good one! And inquiries may come directly  to me .  Paying it Forward Shortly after getting The Derby Gig, which neatly dovetailed my childhood passion for horse racing with my grown up obsession with painting, I started formulating a plan to give back to the universe. As it played out, The Kentucky Derby Museum got involved, and it was decided I would donate a piece to them, something they could use as a fundraising tool to further their education efforts.  "Would I be interested in painting Grindstone, the winner of the 1996 Derby?" they asked. But of course! Little did I know the background story, though. Every year the Museum asks the owners of the Kentucky Derby winner to donate one breeding to the Museum when th...

Golden Open Acrylics

I get all sorts of process oriented questions. Most recently I've been getting asked a lot about my paints and palette, which made me realize what a nice blog topic this would make! I use a Masterson Sta-Wet Premier palette box . This is comprised of a box (think Tupperware) with a sponge liner and a slice of palette paper that work together to keep my paints wet. This setup allows me to work with the same palette for about a full week, having the box open for multiple hours every day. You can see what the palette looks like at the beginning of a new session above - below the exact same palette after this week's work. For the last 25 years I have used Golden brand acrylics, mediums, and varnish. I love the overall quality of these paints and the fact that, when I have a question, their customer service department is made up of artists who actually use the products. Until last year, I used their Heavy Body paints exclusively. They have a buttery consistency, a little loose...