IN PROCESS, working title "Resolutions," 24" x 30", acrylics on panel. $899 plus s&h when finished. Reach out to me if you are interested. I accept personal checks, paypal, venmo and payment plans.As most of the world, I am reflecting today - looking at the past, and planning for the future. This painting, particularly in it's unresolved state, is a beautiful reflection of the cusp of a new dawn.
I approached this painting with the idea of acknowledging the likely truth that I will not own a horse in my lifetime. I thought sitting inside that space would help me be open to what the future brings. I know that disappointment travels hand-in-hand with joy, and I need to have my eyes and ears and heart ready to see and accept that splendor when it shows up.
So I had this plan - a reference photo, dramatic lights and darks, and the idea of a misty atmosphere similar to the equines I've been painting the past few weeks, my dream fading like a lovely old memory. I pulled an older unfinished floral painting out and roughly sketched the horse overtop. I turned the music up, trying not to overthink or second guess anything, keeping foremost the idea of opposition - deeply wanting something, but not being able to have it - peacefully co-existing in the same space.
And this happened. This insanely impossible painting that has bits and pieces of all I am passionate about. It is the labyrinth of my own life story, tattooed on an equine form. Because, duh, haven't I known this for, like, forever?
I plan to spend the rest of the evening quietly soaking up the meaning of this painting and giving thanks for the steps that brought me this beautiful life. I hope that each of you reading this find a moment of clarity and grace as we all step into a new year together.
Thanks for following along with my art journey, Kim
“Katie’s Moustache,” 6x12, pet portrait in acrylic on canvasboard, $90. Inquiries to ksantini@turtledovedesigns.com . One glimpse of Katie’s face, and I was hooked. Not only did she fall into my beloved “black & white” category, but she came with a full moustache and doe-like eyes. I first covered the canvas with a variety of blues and purples, using a (mixed) light green and pink for the highlights. (Right now my palette has been expanded to include the following: pthalo blue red, azurite hue, cad red dark, alizarine crimson, cad yellow dark, and then for graying/hazing out I use light green yellow and ultramarine purple.) I lighten with titanium white and darken with one of the blues and a touch of one of the reds. As a side note, at this time last year I was really struggling with my limited palette (I went from about 60 pots of paint to 3), but I have lived the benefits – I am so much more familiar with what I can mix given just this handful of colors. My paintings are also m...

Comments
Post a Comment