Skip to main content

30 Dogs 30 Days - My Books

I've been a working artist for 18 years, and I learn something new every day. What I learned recently is that I've done a really poor job of sharing the fact that I wrote and published 3 volumes outlining the first years of Painting a Dog a Day. Above is the cover design of my 2nd book, "That's 14 in Dog Years."

How did I become an author? It started out as my wanting to review the work I had created in the first 18 months of the project, so that I could see what I accomplished and set some goals. Of course, being OCD, I couldn't just scroll through photos of the paintings on my laptop. Nope, I had to write an entire book.

And then I did one the next year, too.

And one the following year.

And then I was burned out. The act of designing, writing, editing, proofreading, marketing, pre-selling, and signing/wrapping/shipping was fun for a bit, but then it became something that took me away from the easel. I didn't start painting as a gateway to be an author/publisher. So I let the series sit at 3 volumes and moved back to my easel.

Each volume features over 100 full color images of my fav pieces from the year, along with an essay that carries you through my thought process and general life events of the same time frame. Volume One covers the first year and then some - October 2006 through December 2007. Volume Two is 2008. And Volume Three is 2009. And while my work, style and process has evolved over the years, the books themselves are a good starting point for anyone looking to begin a daily practice or work in a series.

These books are printed on demand, which means that my online vendor creates and ships directly to you. Here's the link:

https://www.blurb.com/user/ksantini

If you would like to have a signed copy of the book, you will have to ship it to me, and then I can personalize and forward it along to you. Reach out and we'll coordinate this.
 
Thanks, as always, for following along with my artwork and journey.
Warmly, Kim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Katie’s Moustache,” 6x12, pet portrait in acrylic on canvasboard, $90. Inquiries to ksantini@turtledovedesigns.com . One glimpse of Katie’s face, and I was hooked. Not only did she fall into my beloved “black & white” category, but she came with a full moustache and doe-like eyes. I first covered the canvas with a variety of blues and purples, using a (mixed) light green and pink for the highlights. (Right now my palette has been expanded to include the following: pthalo blue red, azurite hue, cad red dark, alizarine crimson, cad yellow dark, and then for graying/hazing out I use light green yellow and ultramarine purple.) I lighten with titanium white and darken with one of the blues and a touch of one of the reds. As a side note, at this time last year I was really struggling with my limited palette (I went from about 60 pots of paint to 3), but I have lived the benefits – I am so much more familiar with what I can mix given just this handful of colors. My paintings are also m...

Dear Copyright Thieves

Dear Copyright Thieves,   Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's free for the taking. So let's just stop pretending the internet is a free-for-all.   Don't play the card that you didn't know - that's insulting. And don't also tell me that you meant to follow up and get permission but never got a chance to. That's insulting too. And by the way, don't you have a copyright protection notice on your own site?   And don't even try and point the finger at a third party who commissioned you to make a copy of my painting - again, an insult - you and I both know the difference between a reference photo and a painting.   And don't tell me that I asked for it because I share my artwork on the internet. I share my paintings and ideas and the stories behind them so as to encourage others to pursue  their own passions . I do not share so that those lacking integrity and morals can copy and market the images as their own...

Golden Open Acrylics

I get all sorts of process oriented questions. Most recently I've been getting asked a lot about my paints and palette, which made me realize what a nice blog topic this would make! I use a Masterson Sta-Wet Premier palette box . This is comprised of a box (think Tupperware) with a sponge liner and a slice of palette paper that work together to keep my paints wet. This setup allows me to work with the same palette for about a full week, having the box open for multiple hours every day. You can see what the palette looks like at the beginning of a new session above - below the exact same palette after this week's work. For the last 25 years I have used Golden brand acrylics, mediums, and varnish. I love the overall quality of these paints and the fact that, when I have a question, their customer service department is made up of artists who actually use the products. Until last year, I used their Heavy Body paints exclusively. They have a buttery consistency, a little loose...