Skip to main content

NEW PAINTING Leelaneau

 

"Leelaneau," 24"x24"x1-1/2", acrylic on handmade cradled panel, when available, she will be $1600 plus s&h. Reach out to me for further details.

I've been on an art retreat


(actually I still AM on an art retreat) trying new things with my process. It's been surprising, the sorts of things I'm learning.

This one came about from a rainy morning spent with a mug of steaming tea, studying the drip lines and raindrops gathering in the foliage around the porch of our rental house. I decided to start with the leaves, then thought a wolf was showing up. But she decided to be a fox, and who am I to argue?

Yesterday I tried my hand at plein air painting on the Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes coastline. Tonite I am upping the game and trying moonlit plein air painting. Tomorrow is another round panel of a fox and trees.... or maybe she'll be sand dunes.

Saturday I'll try to finish this week's work before driving back home on Sunday.

And come next week, it will be a final push for Fox Medicine, wiring, varnishing and finishing up all the last minute details so that I can drop my work at the gallery.

And then it's off for a magical celebration as my oldest marries one of my favoritest people in the world.

And then I return in time to attend the opening reception for my solo show Fox Medicine (6:30-8:30pm at Starkweather Arts Center in Romeo, Michigan).

And then I just might take a little time for myself. I think I've earned it!

Thanks so much for following along with my art journey, warmly, Kim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Copyright Thieves

Dear Copyright Thieves,   Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's free for the taking. So let's just stop pretending the internet is a free-for-all.   Don't play the card that you didn't know - that's insulting. And don't also tell me that you meant to follow up and get permission but never got a chance to. That's insulting too. And by the way, don't you have a copyright protection notice on your own site?   And don't even try and point the finger at a third party who commissioned you to make a copy of my painting - again, an insult - you and I both know the difference between a reference photo and a painting.   And don't tell me that I asked for it because I share my artwork on the internet. I share my paintings and ideas and the stories behind them so as to encourage others to pursue  their own passions . I do not share so that those lacking integrity and morals can copy and market the images as their own...

Grindstone

"Grindstone", 16" x 20" acrylics on museum quality panel, depicting Grindstone, just a few strides away from winning The Kentucky Derby in 1996. Read more about this painting's story below - it's a good one! And inquiries may come directly  to me .  Paying it Forward Shortly after getting The Derby Gig, which neatly dovetailed my childhood passion for horse racing with my grown up obsession with painting, I started formulating a plan to give back to the universe. As it played out, The Kentucky Derby Museum got involved, and it was decided I would donate a piece to them, something they could use as a fundraising tool to further their education efforts.  "Would I be interested in painting Grindstone, the winner of the 1996 Derby?" they asked. But of course! Little did I know the background story, though. Every year the Museum asks the owners of the Kentucky Derby winner to donate one breeding to the Museum when th...

Fisher Price Little People Puppy, Toy #10

"Little People Puppy (Toy #10)," 6" x 6," acrylics on masonite, starring a spunky little spaniel with jointed legs made by Fisher Price This painting is $75, with free shipping inside the US. Purchasing is as simple as  asking . I didn't play with this particular version of Little People toys, but I find them very sentimental never the less. They are well designed and charming. I tried to figure out what year Fisher Price made these particular jointed toys which I own (via ebay - I have circus characters too!), but got distracted learning about the history of Little People in general. They have seemingly been around for 50+ years! The Little People barn was a HUGE part of my childhood. The barn doors opened with a "mooooo," but in my head I heard welcoming nickers. Those horses and chickens were real. The brown and orange shag carpeting of my parent's family room became lush rolling pastures of green, and the Little People...