Skip to main content

Upcoming Live Events

 

Join me (Loui has other plans) for upcoming events live streamed from the studio. Read on for more details.  And of course, questions can always come to me.

Wanna come sit in the studio with me?
 

then you are in luck! I have two events happening that provide just that.

Wednesday, Jan 25th at noon eastern, Watching Paint Dry, a live Q&A event hosted via zoom. Bring your questions (or lunch, or both) and enjoy a little art chat about what I've been working on. Link to join is here. And mark your calendars - the next Watching Paint Dry will be Wednesday, Feb 8th at 7pm eastern.

Saturday, Feb 4th at noon eastern I am streaming a painting demonstration from my studio. I filmed the entire progression of Obsidian, from laying out a fresh palette to signing her, and have edited that content down to 90 minutes. Join for a viewing of this video along with a live narration of process and decision making. I'll also field questions. Tickets required - and don't wait too long, as seating is limited. Link to purchase is here.

Hope to see you at one, the other, or both!!

Thanks so much for following along with - and supporting - my art journey,
warmly, Kim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Katie’s Moustache,” 6x12, pet portrait in acrylic on canvasboard, $90. Inquiries to ksantini@turtledovedesigns.com . One glimpse of Katie’s face, and I was hooked. Not only did she fall into my beloved “black & white” category, but she came with a full moustache and doe-like eyes. I first covered the canvas with a variety of blues and purples, using a (mixed) light green and pink for the highlights. (Right now my palette has been expanded to include the following: pthalo blue red, azurite hue, cad red dark, alizarine crimson, cad yellow dark, and then for graying/hazing out I use light green yellow and ultramarine purple.) I lighten with titanium white and darken with one of the blues and a touch of one of the reds. As a side note, at this time last year I was really struggling with my limited palette (I went from about 60 pots of paint to 3), but I have lived the benefits – I am so much more familiar with what I can mix given just this handful of colors. My paintings are also m...

Dear Copyright Thieves

Dear Copyright Thieves,   Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's free for the taking. So let's just stop pretending the internet is a free-for-all.   Don't play the card that you didn't know - that's insulting. And don't also tell me that you meant to follow up and get permission but never got a chance to. That's insulting too. And by the way, don't you have a copyright protection notice on your own site?   And don't even try and point the finger at a third party who commissioned you to make a copy of my painting - again, an insult - you and I both know the difference between a reference photo and a painting.   And don't tell me that I asked for it because I share my artwork on the internet. I share my paintings and ideas and the stories behind them so as to encourage others to pursue  their own passions . I do not share so that those lacking integrity and morals can copy and market the images as their own...

Golden Open Acrylics

I get all sorts of process oriented questions. Most recently I've been getting asked a lot about my paints and palette, which made me realize what a nice blog topic this would make! I use a Masterson Sta-Wet Premier palette box . This is comprised of a box (think Tupperware) with a sponge liner and a slice of palette paper that work together to keep my paints wet. This setup allows me to work with the same palette for about a full week, having the box open for multiple hours every day. You can see what the palette looks like at the beginning of a new session above - below the exact same palette after this week's work. For the last 25 years I have used Golden brand acrylics, mediums, and varnish. I love the overall quality of these paints and the fact that, when I have a question, their customer service department is made up of artists who actually use the products. Until last year, I used their Heavy Body paints exclusively. They have a buttery consistency, a little loose...