Skip to main content

"Grin, Ziggy, Grin," 6" x 8", Boston Terrier dog portrait in acrylic on canvasboard, $180. Proceeds from the sale of this painting will go to the Midwest Boston Terrier Rescue in Kent, Michigan. Inquiries, as always, may come to me at ksantini@turtledovedesigns.com .

There is a wealth of knowledge in the face of an older dog, and Ziggy is no exception. I love the graying around his muzzle that stretches up through his mask - it anchors the focal point (Ziggy's face) simply by nature of being the lightest value in the painting. Ziggy's face is further offset by an "X" shaped composition, the crosspoint of which intersects his face. Another daily painter, Elin Pendleton (http://www.elinpendleton.blogspot.com/), has been recently talking about the importance of composition and design. That made me recognize that Ziggy's painting has a relatively basic structure, but one that could easily work with a variety of subject matter.

And, yes, Ziggy himself is available for adoption. You can read his PetFinder profile at http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8928389 . And learn more about Midwest Boston Terrier Rescue's efforts (and see all of the Boston Terriers currently in their care) at http://www.midwestbtrescue.org/ . It is an honor to paint in support of their efforts again - their dogs just radiate happiness, despite the traumas or tribulations of their earlier years.

On another front, I want to share details with you about an upcoming interview I'll be having on Animal Wise Radio this Sunday, January 13th. The show airs live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area from 12-2 central time on KDWA AM1460. Alternately, you can listen to the live, streaming, internet broadcast at http://www.kdwa.com/. The program will also be available nationally on http://www.allpetsradio.com/, and regionally via Premier Productions Network affiliates. And it gets even easier if you find yourself with plans on Sunday - a podcast will be published on Monday at http://www.animalwiseradio.com/ .

Thanks, as always, for looking at my art.
And for those times when you forward the post or web address.
I truly appreciate it,
Kim

Kimberly Kelly Santini
http://www.turtledovedesigns.com/
distinctive pet portraits
& 4-legged paintings

http://www.paintingadogaday.com/
come. sit. stay.
enjoy the art.

Founding member of the Canine Art Guild
http://www.canineartguild.com/
the gateway to canine art on the web

Comments

  1. Your work is wonderful, Kimberly! Thanks for the link, and isn't it wonderful that so many people appreciate what we share with them?
    --Elin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elin, we have the best jobs in the world! :) Thanks for checking in!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

“Katie’s Moustache,” 6x12, pet portrait in acrylic on canvasboard, $90. Inquiries to ksantini@turtledovedesigns.com . One glimpse of Katie’s face, and I was hooked. Not only did she fall into my beloved “black & white” category, but she came with a full moustache and doe-like eyes. I first covered the canvas with a variety of blues and purples, using a (mixed) light green and pink for the highlights. (Right now my palette has been expanded to include the following: pthalo blue red, azurite hue, cad red dark, alizarine crimson, cad yellow dark, and then for graying/hazing out I use light green yellow and ultramarine purple.) I lighten with titanium white and darken with one of the blues and a touch of one of the reds. As a side note, at this time last year I was really struggling with my limited palette (I went from about 60 pots of paint to 3), but I have lived the benefits – I am so much more familiar with what I can mix given just this handful of colors. My paintings are also m...

Dear Copyright Thieves

Dear Copyright Thieves,   Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's free for the taking. So let's just stop pretending the internet is a free-for-all.   Don't play the card that you didn't know - that's insulting. And don't also tell me that you meant to follow up and get permission but never got a chance to. That's insulting too. And by the way, don't you have a copyright protection notice on your own site?   And don't even try and point the finger at a third party who commissioned you to make a copy of my painting - again, an insult - you and I both know the difference between a reference photo and a painting.   And don't tell me that I asked for it because I share my artwork on the internet. I share my paintings and ideas and the stories behind them so as to encourage others to pursue  their own passions . I do not share so that those lacking integrity and morals can copy and market the images as their own...

Golden Open Acrylics

I get all sorts of process oriented questions. Most recently I've been getting asked a lot about my paints and palette, which made me realize what a nice blog topic this would make! I use a Masterson Sta-Wet Premier palette box . This is comprised of a box (think Tupperware) with a sponge liner and a slice of palette paper that work together to keep my paints wet. This setup allows me to work with the same palette for about a full week, having the box open for multiple hours every day. You can see what the palette looks like at the beginning of a new session above - below the exact same palette after this week's work. For the last 25 years I have used Golden brand acrylics, mediums, and varnish. I love the overall quality of these paints and the fact that, when I have a question, their customer service department is made up of artists who actually use the products. Until last year, I used their Heavy Body paints exclusively. They have a buttery consistency, a little loose...