Skip to main content


"Naughty Nadia," 6" x 8", commissioned jack russell terrier pet portrait in acrylic on canvasboard, private collection (THANK YOU!).

Nadia is another member of the now infamous terrier family that I'm painting this week. She literally was dropped at my client's place of business by a family headed for vacation. They didn't want to kennel her, and would have her put down if my client (who we've established in a prior posting has a reputation for liking Jack Russells) wouldn't take her. They could not open their hearts or their home fast enough for this little girl.

While the rest of the dogs in her family carry a sense of entitlement, Naughty seems genuinely grateful for all kindnesses that come her way - food, love and shelter. Even after three years of consistant love and care. She's such a dear soul who, like so many others, did not deserve the rough start she got in life. Naughty lucked out, though, in the end, and got the happy ending she deserved.

The story gets even better - something I neglected to mention earlier this week - proceeds from the sale of Naughty Nadia's painting and all the others this week will benefit Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Utah. Perhaps you've seen the sanctuary on the National Geographic channel, where Dog Town airs. Dog Town is a program highlighting dogs the shelter aids through veterinary care and proper training - you can check your local listings, but around these parts it airs on Fridays at 9pm.

Best Friends Magazine, published by the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, profiled the Painting a Dog a Day project in their July 2007 issue. Conversations with their editorial staff spurred me into developing Animal Welfare Week, where for the first full week of each month I profile animals from shelters, rescues and service dog organizations. I then donate proceeds from the paintings' sales back to the subjects' respective hosts.

Best Friends Animal Sanctuary will be February's Animal Welfare Week partner.

But in the meanwhile I have been donating proceeds of commissioned portraits stemming from Best Friends Magazine's readership back to the animal sanctuary. To date Best Friends Animal Sanctuary has received almost $1500 in donations from the Painting a Dog a Day project!

That speaks volumes about you, my readers, clients and friends. Thank you on behalf of all the animals who are, and who will, benefit from your support!

Thanks, as always, for looking.
And for sharing these paintings with your friends and family!
Kim

Kimberly Kelly Santini
http://www.turtledovedesigns.com/
distinctive pet portraits
& 4-legged paintings

http://www.paintingadogaday.com/
come. sit. stay.
enjoy the art.

Founding member of the Canine Art Guild
http://www.canineartguild.com/
the gateway to canine art on the web

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Katie’s Moustache,” 6x12, pet portrait in acrylic on canvasboard, $90. Inquiries to ksantini@turtledovedesigns.com . One glimpse of Katie’s face, and I was hooked. Not only did she fall into my beloved “black & white” category, but she came with a full moustache and doe-like eyes. I first covered the canvas with a variety of blues and purples, using a (mixed) light green and pink for the highlights. (Right now my palette has been expanded to include the following: pthalo blue red, azurite hue, cad red dark, alizarine crimson, cad yellow dark, and then for graying/hazing out I use light green yellow and ultramarine purple.) I lighten with titanium white and darken with one of the blues and a touch of one of the reds. As a side note, at this time last year I was really struggling with my limited palette (I went from about 60 pots of paint to 3), but I have lived the benefits – I am so much more familiar with what I can mix given just this handful of colors. My paintings are also m...

Dear Copyright Thieves

Dear Copyright Thieves,   Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's free for the taking. So let's just stop pretending the internet is a free-for-all.   Don't play the card that you didn't know - that's insulting. And don't also tell me that you meant to follow up and get permission but never got a chance to. That's insulting too. And by the way, don't you have a copyright protection notice on your own site?   And don't even try and point the finger at a third party who commissioned you to make a copy of my painting - again, an insult - you and I both know the difference between a reference photo and a painting.   And don't tell me that I asked for it because I share my artwork on the internet. I share my paintings and ideas and the stories behind them so as to encourage others to pursue  their own passions . I do not share so that those lacking integrity and morals can copy and market the images as their own...

Golden Open Acrylics

I get all sorts of process oriented questions. Most recently I've been getting asked a lot about my paints and palette, which made me realize what a nice blog topic this would make! I use a Masterson Sta-Wet Premier palette box . This is comprised of a box (think Tupperware) with a sponge liner and a slice of palette paper that work together to keep my paints wet. This setup allows me to work with the same palette for about a full week, having the box open for multiple hours every day. You can see what the palette looks like at the beginning of a new session above - below the exact same palette after this week's work. For the last 25 years I have used Golden brand acrylics, mediums, and varnish. I love the overall quality of these paints and the fact that, when I have a question, their customer service department is made up of artists who actually use the products. Until last year, I used their Heavy Body paints exclusively. They have a buttery consistency, a little loose...